PDA

View Full Version : Visit to Scottish Information

machel
14th Feb 2008, 23:14
I visited the guys at Scottish Information last weekend and would highly recommend it to everyone!

They're really friendly, very enthusiastic and eager to explain what they do and tell all about the information they can give us while airborne. It's definitely worth a visit, so that you can appreciate just what goes on at Prestwick House, and how much they have to deal with. They give an excellent service and are keen to do as much as they can to help PPLs as well as the professionals.

D & D are based there too, and if you want you can get to see what goes on in there too.

It's definitely encouraged me to speak to them more when I'm flying. :)

Get in touch with Fisbangwallop and ask for a visit. That's what I did, and he was only too pleased to help. :ok:

fisbangwollop
15th Feb 2008, 10:06
It was a pleasure and great to put a face to the voice....its always nice to meet our customers and listen to your views of the service we provide. The enthusiasm you all show for light aviation makes our job a joy to do. As I have said before the more people that use the FIS service the better the service will be for all........to those of you that frequent the service a big thank you,for those that have not yet bothered, please give it a try.....we await your call on 119.875. safe flying to one and all.

Scottishflyer182
15th Feb 2008, 21:30
Hi Fisbangwollop,

I would really like to visit you guys at prestwick. Along with a few other pilots.

Can you advise.

Thanks

Scottishflyer182

DX Wombat
15th Feb 2008, 21:46
Some years ago an afternoon was organised at ScATCC for PPRuNers. I wasn't learning to fly at the time but was invited to attend. This excellent afternoon was directly responsible for my actions some years later when, through no fault of mine, things went badly wrong on my QXC. Part of the visit had involved a visit to D&D and both the FISOs of the FIS service at Prestwick and the Mil ATCOs in ScATCC D&D cell had made it abundantly clear that they wished to hear from us. D&D in particular stressed that they would much prefer to have to sort out what eventually proved to be a minor problem than have to turn out the whole SAR team to pick up the pieces. Thank you! Your encouragement to talk, without fear of criticism, if in the slightest doubt meant that I called and, although things were far from straightforward, nobody needed to come and pick up any pieces.
Mind you, everyone is friendly, but they do have an odd-looking one or two members of staff. :\ :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DX_Wombat/Gwladys/P1011894.jpg

mad_jock
16th Feb 2008, 11:31
Just one or two?

Where is the pint of stella?

And thanks for your help scottish info. You must get fed up getting wx for us CAT.

Although we did use you properly the other day. And I do apologise for the crap RT. It was great fun chucking the machine up the A9. FO's got a vid of it if you are interested.

DX Wombat
16th Feb 2008, 14:33
Just one or two? There was actually only the one that evening. :E
Where is the pint of stella?Cunningly concealed in a hollowed out space behind the radar screen. :ok:

You must get fed up getting wx for us CAT.Have you forgotten how to use the Met Office website already MJ?
Although we did use you properly the other day. And I do apologise for the crap RT.You didn't get lost did you? :eek: I suppose the poor FO was to blame for the RT? :E :hmm:
It was great fun chucking the machine up the A9. So it was your fault the A9 was blocked until just before I wanted to drive up it? :*
FO's got a vid of it if you are interested.That will probably depend on the content of the video. Don't expect ATCOs and FISOs to want to watch anything remotely connected with work. I have heard that their choice of video usually comes wrapped in plain brown paper and is handed over round the back of the Atlantic House Bike Shed by someone going by the name of "Wee Jimmy." :oh:
Nice to see you still posting MJ :ok: :) Granny.

mad_jock
16th Feb 2008, 22:22
I don't know many commercial pilots which use the met office for wx.

Its just a huge pain in the bum logging in to find that the computer doesn't accept cookies etc etc. So we use the Norwegian CAA site which gives you everything with no bollocks. During a 2 hour cruise you can listen to scottish volmet but it doesn't give you everything and you can't get it until about TLA.
The current fog rolling in has been a bit of a pain.

It was my crap RT. And no I wasn't lost. North of P600 its way to easy in my machine you just don't speak to anyone if you don't want to. And if you are having fun you can't talk to anyone even if you wanted to. We had to use a P38 for a relay hand off.

And in my limited experence the Scottish Info peeps always sound quite jealouse when we book in, in cracking wx having fun. Mind you if i was stuck in a bunker in PIK i would be jealouse to.

fisbangwollop
18th Feb 2008, 06:42
Scottish Flyer 182........Will send you a PM with contact details so we can sort something out

Madjock......No problems, happy to help and keep the requests for weather coming.

Again regards to all that take the time and effort to use the service, and to those that dont, next time your airborne give us a call 119.875mhz.