PDA

View Full Version : Light aircraft down near Rutland Water

Foxy Loxy
13th Feb 2008, 17:16
Light aircraft crashes in Rutland
A light aircraft is reported to have crashed in Rutland.

Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service confirmed that four fire engines and the heavy rescue unit were at the scene which is off Whitwell Road, Empingham.

There are currently no more details of any casualties or circumstances of the incident, which took place near the northern shore of Rutland Water.

Weather in the county had been very cloudy all day with patches of fog in many places.

Link here:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/7243688.stm

I hope there were no serious casualties...

Foxy

S-Works
13th Feb 2008, 17:29
My mother just called to check it wasn't me and said the local news was the the 1 POB had died.

VFE
13th Feb 2008, 17:52
Sadly this too is what I've heard from those at the airfield where the much respected pilot took off from this afternoon. Will hold fire with any other comments for now. :(

VFE.

alright_pal
13th Feb 2008, 18:03
Just caught the tail end of local news, light aircraft down in the Rutland Water area...........no news of P.O.B, hope everyone involved is ok.

ShyTorque
13th Feb 2008, 18:06
Heard Police 22 on their way to have a look but I had to change to en-route before they reached the area; nothing more known.

Foxy Loxy
13th Feb 2008, 18:09
What a terrible shame. Another sad day for GA.

Foxy

Mark Nine
13th Feb 2008, 18:31
Not looking good i'm afraid. Police and air ambo could not land because of the fog.

Carbon Bootprint
13th Feb 2008, 19:03
A light aircraft is reported to have crashed, killing the pilot.

Emergency services were called to the crash site in Empingham, Rutland.

Leicestershire Police said they received a report of the crash at 3.30pm today after the single-engined plane, a small, privately owned aircraft, came down on a bank at the edge of Rutland Water.

Police, fire crews and the ambulance service were at the scene this evening as inquiries began to establish the circumstances surrounding the crash.

It is not yet known where the plane was going to or where it had set off from.

It is understood the pilot of the aircraft was the only person on board.

A spokeswoman for the Air Accident Investigation Branch said a team had been sent to the area to begin an inquiry.

Weather in the county had been very cloudy all day with patches of thick fog in many places.

From The Leicester Mercury (http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=132935&command=displayContent&sourceNode=132702&contentPK=19871545&folderPk=77465&pNodeId=132393)

staplefordheli
13th Feb 2008, 21:55
According to itv text at 22:30 the pilot in his 80's on a ppl was killed, no pax on board. there is a private grass strip runway on a farm nearby at Empingham so maybe have been attempting landing in fog. My wife said it was poor vis in Rutland thios afternoon
i live nearby but am away in North Yorks working.
Virgin balloons fly from Barnsdale lodge, about 1/2 mile from crash site on North shore of the resy

Phil Space
14th Feb 2008, 02:37
Speaking to a friend on the phone yesterday lunctime he said the weather was very misty. I wonder why the pilot would have wanted to go flying in these conditions?
Confirmed by this pic
http://editorial.jpress.co.uk/web/Upload/PET/TH0_132200848aa%20SM%20Crash%20scene%201.jpg

mothflyer
14th Feb 2008, 07:56
Another sad day indeed.

I've rung around my ex syndicate parters as we used to operate a little J3 cub out of the strip at Empingham. All accounted for.

Deepest sympathies to the family of the pilot.

rose taylor
14th Feb 2008, 08:00
Hi

are u able 2 say which airport he flew from - desperately want to add some tributes to the story that will go in the Evening Telegraph (Peterborough) and stamford mercury. Thought the airfield might give us a few words of tribute to the gentleman?.

rose

VFE
14th Feb 2008, 10:17
I believe people at the airfield are keen to keep quiet until the body has been formally identified Rose. After which I feel sure there will be plenty of tributes on offer for the gentleman.

VFE.

Avitor
14th Feb 2008, 10:27
An eye winess has stated that fog rapidly descended before the sad incident.

jemax
14th Feb 2008, 11:15
I'm a heli pilot and live just about half a mile from the site, in fact I had been playing with my daughter exactly there the day before, which makes it a little surreal.

I had the day off, we left for Spalding to go shopping at 11 am and it was beautiful, if a little hazy, but sunny. We returned at 2.45, 45 mins before the accident, and although it had been thick fog all the way back from Spalding, just as we entered Empingham it cleared to about 6k, sunny, with haze, but really quite OK. When my wife went to pick up kids at 3.30 it was still clear at Sykes Lane, scene of the crash, but was thicker as you descend a little towards Oakham. The mobile phone pic, obviously after the accident is a bit deceptive of the actual weather in that spot, between 3 and 3.30.

Whatever the cause, locally it had been very nice in the morning.

It is very sad as I was very close to this one and the Thornhaugh helicopter crash, both recent. The chap is not known to me and I don't know where he flew from, but he was obviously doing what he enjoyed on what started as a beautiful day.

S-Works
14th Feb 2008, 13:57
This is a very sad incident. The pilot was a very nice guy and had been flying for a very long time. This should have been a very quick positioning flight.

As VFE says once the formal stuff has been done we can pass the appropriate tributes.

rose taylor
14th Feb 2008, 17:00
thank you. tributes have already started to pour in.

DX Wombat
14th Feb 2008, 17:56
Rose, it's a pleasure to have a journalist posting in here who makes the effort to get things right. :ok: Thank you.

EZYFlyer
14th Feb 2008, 18:00
Local TV news just identified the aircraft as a PA28 in the factory maroon colour scheme. I know there's one in that scheme at Leicester.

Terrible news for aviation, condolences to the pilot's family. As others have said somebody doing what they enjoyed on what started a beautiful day, so sad it ended so tragically.

S-Works
14th Feb 2008, 18:02
Rose, thank you for the sensitive approach, very uncommon in a journalist.

Once his name has been released to the public please PM me and I will give you the details you require.

We are a little shocked at the moment.

poss
14th Feb 2008, 22:32
I was told today that the media were down at Tollerton questioning the CFI of one of the flying clubs there on the age of which pilots are not allowed to fly any more. Apparently it might be someone who was a regular at EGBN. Just a rumour though. Very sad day for GA indeed, best wishes for the family.

rose taylor
15th Feb 2008, 06:15
thank you DX.
I know some people think all journalists are the same, but there are still some of us who take great care to ensure facts and figures are spot on. Specially in such circumstances where it can add to a family's anguish.

S-Works
15th Feb 2008, 08:00
Can we just wait until the formal naming is made. I know who the pilot was, where he was flying from and to and the purpose of the flight. He was one of our airfield characters a true gentleman with a devoted wife and as such our place is in shock at the moment.

VFE
15th Feb 2008, 10:54
http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/Air-crash-pilot-named.3781631.jp

Only saw Harry in passing really but it still strikes a sensitive chord as does any fatal air accident. As a regular flyer around the east anglia/east mids area his voice became familiar whilst receiving a LARS from RAF Cottesmore. Fellow club members such as Bose-X were closer than myself so I'll leave the detailed tributes to them.

My condolences go to his family and friends.

VFE.

Ye Olde Pilot
15th Feb 2008, 14:19
From the Peterborough Evening Telegraph

Tributes to 'gentleman' with passion for flying

http://editorial.jpress.co.uk/web/Upload/PET//TH1_1522008428rh0214053.jpg
An air accident investigator surveys the scene of the crash near Rutland Water?s Sykes Lane visitors car park.
http://editorial.jpress.co.uk/web/Upload/PET/TH3_1522008428rh0214053.jpg (javascript: ShowThumb(0);)
http://editorial.jpress.co.uk/web/images/3782952/TH3_ETP-1502-07-1502_082955.jpg (javascript: ShowThumb(1);)

TRIBUTES have been paid to 85-year-old war veteran Harry Barker who died when his plane crashed near Rutland Water (http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/Elderly-pilot-killed-in-light.3775667.jp).

Shocked friends and colleagues of Harry described him as a "gentleman" who loved life and had a passion for flying.

The businessman, who owned Eastern Farming Implements (EFI) in Essendine Road, Carlby, near Bourne, was an active member and past president of Bourne Rotary Club.

Vice-president of the rotary club Bob Brown (60) said members were "extremely upset" by the news.

He said: "Harry was very much a gentleman and I think everybody liked him because he was a really nice person. He will be a great loss to the club."

Rotarian Jo Sunner added: "He had a cheeky sense of humour and always made you feel at ease. One of his great loves was flying and he died doing what he enjoyed. Sometimes he would go over to France for a meal and come straight back. He loved life.

"When he got into his eighties one of his sayings was that you have got to keep going.

"It is a huge shock that we have lost Harry and even more so for his other friends and family. He was a lovely, lovely man.

"I was only having lunch with him on Tuesday as he celebrated his 85th birthday. I just can't believe it."

Fellow Bourne Rotary member Gordon Cochran, of Gordon's Photographic, said: "It's a sad loss and he will be greatly missed."

Group secretary for the Bourne branch of the National Farmers' Union (NFU) Sue Green said Mr Barker was a past president of the Agricultural Engineers' Association.

She said: "He was a stalwart in the agricultural industry, he built up a reputable business and was well-liked and respected in the trade and was a gentleman through and through."

Linda Laughton, of Manor Farm Lane, Essendine, joined EFI as an office junior after leaving school in 1974 and stayed there for seven years before leaving in 1981.

She said: "Harry made me feel like one of the family. He was a very kind and generous person.

"Although he was managing director I can remember him putting on his overalls and going out to breakdowns in the fields in busy periods to help the mechanics."

Mr Barker, of Bourne Road, Carlby, is believed to have been part of a syndicate that owned the plane, which was based at Shacklewell Farm in

The light aircraft was in bits after it hit the ground near Rutland Water Butterfly Farm and Aquatic Park at 3.30pm on Wednesday.

He is believed to have taken off from Spanhoe Airfield in Northamptonshire 15 minutes earlier.

Firefighter Sherman Finnemore, crew manager at Uppingham, said: "The plane was spread over a couple of hundred metres.

"It was complete devastation. Some of the debris had passed onto the car park but most of it had gone in the trees."

Senior inspector of air accidents, Insp Tim Atkinson, said the wreckage of the aircraft will be taken back to the branch's headquarters in Farnborough, Hampshire for in depth examination.

Tributes to Mr Barker can be posted by
commenting below (http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/Tributes-to-39gentleman39-with-passion.3782952.jp#comments), email us: [email protected] ([email protected]) or telephone the newsdesk 01733 555111.

beamender99
16th Feb 2008, 20:59
http://tinyurl.com/2d5ovg

The pilot who died when his plane crashed the day after his 85th birthday.
""One of his great loves was flying and he died doing what he enjoyed."

Along with Ken Wallis, how many are still able to enjoy actual flying at this sort of age ?

shy_one
17th Feb 2008, 08:01
beamender99

One of my regular flying companions is still flying at the age of 89. He gained his NPPL at the age of 83 and although he doesn't fly solo anymore he is still a good pilot and has no intentions of stoping. The other in our little group of 3 regular is now 69 and got his NPPL at the age of 64.

shy_one