PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: Aircraft hire for VFR trip to France

liverflyer
12th Feb 2008, 20:06
I am a JAR PPL holder with approximately 150 powered flying hours experience and over 500 launches as an Air Cadet gliding instructor to date. Currently in my third year of an Aerospace Engineering degree, I fly regularly with the University Air Squadron where I have completed the RAF Elementary Flying Training syllabus on the Grob Tutor. I also fly a PA28 Warrior with a local flying school.

I am planning a trip to southwest France during late July/early August 2008, lasting 10-14 days and flying 10-15 hours. I am currently trying to find a suitable aircraft to hire for this. The aircraft must be capable of carrying three adults plus some baggage, have fixed undercarriage, decent avionics (but full IFR fit not necessary) and an interior in good condition. Access to life jackets/raft would also be good. A PA28 Archer/C172/C182 or similar based in the southwest of England for under £130 (wet) per hour would be ideal.

I am reluctant to use a flying school aircraft since most ask for a minimum number of hours per day above what I intend to do. A private owner or group syndicate happy to make their aircraft available to me at a fixed price per hour would be great.

Any offers/advice would be much appreciated.

AC-DC
14th Feb 2008, 20:39
I don't think that you have a big chance, it costs lots of money to keep an aircraft in a good condition, it is not just money in the pockets of the club. It costs me about £7900 to keep the aircraft and this is before paying for fuel and small snags.

Tall_guy_in_a_152
14th Feb 2008, 21:54
... and late July / Early August is the worst possible time to be asking.

No harm in asking though - you never know your luck.