PDA

View Full Version : Area vs Aerodrome

gc4atco
12th Feb 2008, 20:00
Just wondered what the pros/cons of each of the streams into ATC with NATS - Area vs Aerodrome. As a new trainee (scheduled to start at the college in July now) I'm obviously ecstatic about just getting through the process but as I've been reading here, it seems people have been asked to offer a preference for which route they'd prefer.

As part of my interview prep I did a couple of visits to Manchester, both the tower and area side and must say that I preferred the look of the Aerodrome side of things, but...

Specifically what I'm looking for is:

1. Salary/conditions differences (whilst training and future expectations)
2. With Area you'll either be at Swanwick or Prestwick, but with Aerodrome you can literally be placed at any NATS airport - fair comment or do you have any say?
3. Difference in validation times?
4. General morale/job satisfaction in each?
5. Any other notable differences and/or suggestions?

Tall order I know, but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. :ok:
Thanks.

smellysnelly2004
12th Feb 2008, 20:41
1. Salary depends on Band of unit - Swanwick/TC are top band and MACC and Prestwick the one below - big can of worms there!! Aero/Approach units all different bands from the lowest to the highest
2. You can state a preference but don't bank on it
3. Varies from what I hear - there's a thread on here at the moment on validation times. I believe the quickest validation was at London City which was just under a year from walking in the door at college to validation
4 and 5 - no idea yet!!

Regular Cappuccino
12th Feb 2008, 20:41
Some ATCOs enjoy the challenges and complex traffic scenarios that Area provides, while others enjoy the opportunity to sit in the sunshine and take in the views, while actually getting to see real aeroplanes 'in the flesh' as it were.
Matter of personal preference really. I've done (& enjoyed) both disciplines in my time, but am perfectly happy now at an airfield (happily, with its own radar unit as well).
Other possible considerations might be - Area - nowhere else to go in the UK except Nats (+ although there are other choices abroad).
Aerodrome - some Nats units are 'stand alone' towers, so no opportunity to use radar, which removes some of the variety & interest from the job.
+ wider choice of units both inside and outside Nats.

Good Luck, whichever route you choose.:)

RC