PDA

View Full Version : Feature Film Research

TheCon
12th Feb 2008, 18:40
Hey everyone... I'm doing a scriptwriting MA and the final submission is a Feature Film Script. I'm writing a film about a fictional air disaster and how it coincides with a high level conspiracy, but my knowledge of flight protocols/operations/'cabin speak' etc is obviously pretty much non existent (I could barely fly for a minute without stalling on Flight Sim '95!!). So I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has (as He-man would put it) 'the power' and could maybe answer a few questions for me.

I aim to be as realistic as possible and want to give authenticity to the script/characters. If anyone out there can help I would be much obliged.

deltayankee
13th Feb 2008, 20:33
There is an awesome book about the early days of aviation called "A Passion for Wings" by Robert Wohl. In the introduction he thanks someone for giving him the good advice to get some flying lessons before writing the book. He recognizes that this made a huge difference to his understanding.

Learn from his experience and before you write any more of the script get round to the local flying club and try at the very least one flight with an instructor where you are in the left hand seat. Believe me it will make a difference!

I have read awful books where writers talk about pilots "stalling the engine" and similar rubbish. It would be like writing a romance without having any experience of the topic.

Maybe you don't have the resources to get a PPL, or maybe you don't have the medical, but you can still have a few lessons and get a feel for what it is like to handle the controls. At the same time, by talking to real pilots you'll also get a feel for the language and culture of the caste.

BOAC
14th Feb 2008, 06:43
To avoid a string of 'this happened to me' posts, I am now closing the thread and invite replied to the originator by PM. Should 'TheCon' request it, I will re-open the thread if there is a need.