PDA

View Full Version : Ppl Law Question

Greg2041
12th Feb 2008, 17:32
A PPL Confuser question whose answer misses out statement E and then muddles another up.

So...... my question is, what is the correct answer to this question?

Many thanks

Q124 The primary objectives of the Air Traffic Services are to:

(a) provide advice and information useful for the safe and efficient
conduct of flights.
(b) notify appropriate organisations regarding aircraft in need of search and rescue, aid and assist such organisations as required.
(c) expedite and maintain an orderly flow of air traffic.
(d) prevent collisions between aircraft..
(e) prevent collisions between aircraft on the aerodrome manoeuvring area and obstructions on that area.

Which of the above five statements are correct?

A - a, b, c, d and e.
B - a, b, c and d.
C - a, b, c and e.
D - a, c, d and e.

jxc
12th Feb 2008, 17:36
spooky as i was thinking about putting an airlaw exam question i got wrong but belive i got write

anyway the answer to yours is A

Greg2041
12th Feb 2008, 17:47
Noted with thanks. So what was your question?

Greg

jxc
12th Feb 2008, 18:19
not sure if i can post it as it the actuall question in the airlaw exam will wait to see if anyone else says anything

Cheers

Shunter
12th Feb 2008, 18:37
I'd just post it if I were you - since you can buy the exact questions and answers anyway...

jxc
12th Feb 2008, 20:09
ok it was along the lines of

any uk reg aircraft on international flights must have a C of A issued or rendered by

A. Uk civil aviation authority
B. any ICAO State
C and D were totally wrong

the answer was B
I thought uk aircraft can only get a C of A issued in the Uk

jxc
12th Feb 2008, 20:21
ok it was along the lines of

any uk reg aircraft on international flights must have a C of A issued or rendered by

A. Uk civil aviation authority
B. any ICAO State
C and D were totally wrong

the answer was B

Greg2041
12th Feb 2008, 20:29
How bizarre! I posted that very question a few weeks back. Like you, I was surprised with the answer. I'm not sure that it is particularly clear in any of the text books.

Still, I haven't sat the exam yet!

gpn01
12th Feb 2008, 20:42
Just being pedantic here, but how can you have FIVE primary objectives ? Surely you can have only one primary objective (and all of the others would be secondary, teriarty, etc). Bit like saying that you have the bigger half of an apple.

BackPacker
12th Feb 2008, 22:12
the answer was B

You thought correct. But the question included "or rendered valid" and that's something that can happen in any ICAO state.

Whopity
13th Feb 2008, 07:33
Q124 The primary objectives of the Air Traffic Services are to:

What an appalling and pointless question! Air Traffic Services comprise ATC; AFIS and AGCIS all of which have different primary purposes.

antic81
13th Feb 2008, 09:14
Thats the UKCAA for you Whopity!

I remember being marked wrong in an exam question and talking to my instructor about it, he agreed that the answer I put was correct...but not the one the CAA wanted...cant remember which exam.

Some of wording in the ATPL's is even worse!

Spruit
13th Feb 2008, 13:59
I thought the question:

What is the minimum forward flight visibility for a UK-issued JAR-FCL compliant PPL(A) in uncontrolled airspace without any additional ratings (i.e IMC or IR).

a) 8km
b) 5km
c) 3km
d) 1500m

Was a tad cheeky!

Your thoughts?

Spru!

BackPacker
13th Feb 2008, 14:01
Depends on whether it's a UK national PPL(A), a UK-issued JAR-FCL compliant PPL(A) (and if so, whether the holder also has an IMC or IR), or a non-UK issued JAR-FCL compliant PPL(A).

And it also depends on who's uncontrolled airspace it is, and whether it's F or G.

Spruit
13th Feb 2008, 14:30
I've modified the original posting to reflect the question as I remember it!

Spru!

BackPacker
13th Feb 2008, 14:58
Okay. The tricky thing is the ANO, which imposes a blanket limitation, regardless of the airspace, for any such PPL holder, to a minimum flight viz of 3 km in uncontrolled airspace.

(ANO Schedule 8, Part A, Section 1, Subsection 1, PPL, article 2c.)

If the PPL holder also holds an IR or IMC, then the class F/G minima apply, which range from 1500m to 8km, depending on altitude, as per the UK IAP.

http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/enr/20104.PDF

So the only answer that's false in any case is 1500m. The others may all be correct, depending on the altitude: 3km below 3000 feet, 5km between 3000 feet and FL100, and 8km above FL100.

Spruit
13th Feb 2008, 17:35
So the only answer that's false in any case is 1500m. The others may all be correct, depending on the altitude: 3km below 3000 feet, 5km between 3000 feet and FL100, and 8km above FL100.

Yep, no altitude was specified in the question but your correct in all you've stated above.

This question caught me not concentrating tho!

Spru!

Duchess_Driver
13th Feb 2008, 22:24
Privilages of the licence and VMC are two different things. There is an area of VMC that a normal PPL cannot explore without the addition of an IMC rating or IR - the question states 'with no additional qualifications'.

Therefore the additional qualifiers of under 3000' and less than 140kts become factors.....

Greg2041
14th Feb 2008, 07:14

Now I'm confused....... So which is the correct answer that "they" were looking for if the other 3 answers are true?

I'm assuming the answer is 3km if as the question states there are '... no additional qualifications'?

BackPacker
14th Feb 2008, 07:28
I think the original question should have included an altitude limitation as well - say below 3000 feet. In which case the answer is 3km (the ANO limitation for a PPL with no additional ratings), whereas somebody not knowing the ANO limitation would answer 1500m (the VMC limitation for uncontrolled airspace below 3000 feet).

Greg2041
14th Feb 2008, 07:39
Gotcha. That makes sense now .......errr sort of! Nasty question though!

Greg

smithgd
14th Feb 2008, 08:08
The trick is in the use of the word "minimum", since they didn't mention an altitude.

The well known phrase "RTFQ" rings very true, all the way from PPL to ATPL level, it is so easy to mis read the question and jump to the wrong conclusions. By doing the confuser you will hopefully start to understand the way the CAA style their questions which will help.

However there are a few questions where you have to give the CAA answer not the real answer, watch out for them:ugh:

smithgd

Spruit
14th Feb 2008, 08:39
As has been previously stated in this case the correct answer is 3km but you really do need to watch out for the wording.

Them CAA types are sneaky with a few questions!

A classic case of RTFQ Ad Inifinitum until your 100% sure you know what they are asking you!

Spru!