PDA

View Full Version : magnesium fire starters in aeroplanes

Travelair
12th Feb 2008, 17:10
I know magnesium can be classified as a dangerous good class 4.1, but at the moment I dont have a manual with me...to be sure in this case...

Can anyone tell me if I can carry on checked baggage a magnesium fire starter (camping gear item) ??

Thanx
Tair

dusk2dawn
12th Feb 2008, 19:58
You don't really think so, do you?

DOC 9284, Chapter 6 (PROVISIONS TO AID RECOGNITION OF UNDECLARED DANGEROUS GOODS):

6.1 With. the aim of preventing undeclared dangerous goods from being loaded on an aircraft and of preventing passengers from taking on board those dangerous goods which they are not permitted to have in their baggage ...<zipped>camping equipment - may contain flammable gases (butane, propane, etc.), flammable liquids (kerosene, gasoline, etc.) or flammable solids (hexamine, matches, etc.)

Travelair
12th Feb 2008, 20:07
I might be asking the obvious, but my doubt lies on the fact that these products are solid and my understanding is that they need to be broken up into shavings for them to light up (or am I wrong? Ive never used them). Im not sure if solid magnesium of this sort is considered or not under these definitions?

Once Ive got my hands on the full DG catalog I can sort it out but I just want a leader to solve a short term problem here... In my opinion Im just saying no...to be sure!