PDA

View Full Version : Average Validation Times

Nokio
11th Feb 2008, 17:24
I know that Validation times vary and are dependant upon many factors, but can anyone throw out some figures? Airport units quicker than Area I'm told, but if anyone is prepared say how long it took for them, or speculate on average times, or on what factors can lengthen the time taken to validate, I' be grateful.
Thanks, Nokio.

Scuzi
11th Feb 2008, 20:37
It varies greatly depending on the unit, the ability of the trainee, the consistency of the training, quality of training, instructors etc...

As an example, from finishing my TVC, it took me 16 months to validate on the North bank at TC. The reason it ook so long is that I was 3rd in the queue for live training for a while and didn't get consistent training until about 8 months before validation. Once I began to get consistent training things began to move quicker.
Also, halfway through training the hours requirement for each level was increased, upping the expected validation time by 100 hours. I think it took me roughly 450 hours of live training to validate, 300 of which was consistent.

flightsearch
12th Feb 2008, 06:07
this is the sheet Skyguide does it. mayby it'll help
http://www.skyguide.ch/en/Jobs/Training/Theory_and_OJT/Overview_TrainingSchedule.pdf

kind regards

Johannes

Singe
12th Feb 2008, 11:54
It all depends on the unit, but usually about 3-6 months for ADI depending on past experience, ability, airspace, OJTI!
Radar can and will be a little longer again depending on...

Jagohu
12th Feb 2008, 16:40
As for me (Eurocontrol, ACC rating) it was 2 years and 2 months until the first rating and 2 years 9 months until the second rating and full establishment from the very beginning.

Gonzo
12th Feb 2008, 16:46
I'd reckon on 12-14 months from walking in the door at LHR from the college to validation, subject to the usual caveats.

Ivor_Novello
13th Feb 2008, 17:17
Is there any leave given between finishing at college and starting at unit ? Chances are for most people this will be yet another relocation to destination unknown until the last minute...

Lurking123
13th Feb 2008, 18:00
Not exactly glowing statistics. Taking Scuzi's example, it looks as if he/she had 300hrs consistent training over 8 months. Assuming 15 days work per month ( the average person actually works 20 days/month), it would appear that Scuzi had less than 3 hrs training/working day or about 37 hours/month.

reportyourlevel
13th Feb 2008, 18:35
Don't forget that you can only log four hours of training each shift. I was just under a year from starting college to valid (Tower only) at a non-NATS unit.

callyoushortly
13th Feb 2008, 19:47
Don't forget that you can only log four hours of training each shift.

We certainly log more than 4 hours fairly regularly, that changed ages ago didn't it?

reportyourlevel
13th Feb 2008, 21:18
We certainly log more than 4 hours fairly regularly, that changed ages ago didn't it?

I certainly wasn't allowed to log more than four hours a day, and that was only a few months ago. I'm sure they mentioned it at the college too. It would be interesting to see a reference, I've just had a quick look through the books and can't much either way.

Lookatthesky
14th Feb 2008, 08:24
The maximum daily hours you can log (at TC anyway) is 5.

Can't speak for any other unit.

Singe
15th Feb 2008, 11:47
I think that a recent ruling has dropped the 4 hour amount now.

SilentHandover
5th Mar 2008, 06:52
Started college Jan '07, left 9 months later dual rated tower and approach, took seven weeks leave, started training start of December. Validated tower March 4th. Radar training starts soon.
Very grateful for all the help I've been given along the way, list of names too long to list. :ok:

SH

Defruiter
5th Mar 2008, 09:13
If that means you validated yesterday, then well done ;)

Gonzo
5th Mar 2008, 13:16
Well done SH!!!

chevvron
5th Mar 2008, 13:25
Don't say that he's bad enough already!!