PDA

View Full Version : Crossland Moor

radicalrabit
11th Feb 2008, 11:21
While I have been looking for somewhere to fly to and from I came accross Crossland Moor. Who owns it? It says it is PPR but the published number seems to be always enganged, is it that popular?
Can anyone tell me any more about please.
Sorry Just found the prvious thread where there was mention of Crosland Moor.
It transpired that I actually work with the cousin of Jamie whos family own it. Small world eh ?
Looking forward to going over there for a look.
Still cant help wondering why they dont re route the foot path round the runway . Wonder if the lottery fund would give them a conservation grant to do it with?

Tiger_mate
11th Feb 2008, 11:49
Dial-up internet has a lot to answer for

PPR phone: 01484 654473 / 645784

willylopez
11th Feb 2008, 12:04
Hi to all, i live very close to crossland moor and have flown in several times.
I believe it was originally built for the owner of David Brown tractors which is located close by.
The most recent owners to my knowledge are the Huddersfield Aviation Ltd, they are very inviting to all pilots alike.
There is a portacabin/static caravan full of tea/coffee/cans of pop and other light snacks ( there is an honesty box for beverages and landing fees ).
The runway is 550m asphalt , 250m grass, dimension 800x22,it no longer has lighting.
Runways 25,07.
825 ft amsl
128.375 a/g
Rwy 07 gradient-2.6% Down from start of Asphalt
Whenever possible land and take off from Rwy 25
Land as soon as possible on Rwy 07.
Left hand circuits at 100 ft aal.
Look out for Emley moor tv mast 1924 ft amsl, 6 nm east.
Also holme moss tv mast 2490 ft amsl, 5 nm south
Radio masts 1614 ft amsl, 2.5nm to nw.
Avoid low flying over houses and hospital0.5 nm from threshold of Rwy 25.

Cossland has a large reservoir situated about 1 nm to the south and has quarry workings at the end and sides of runway 25, it is well worth a visit for the novelty , great pennine views ,cheap landing fees ( £2 single ,£5 twin )and of course good pubs for fantastic food such as the Sands House pub just a short walk away( left at the bottom of the drive and follow the road to the end, pub is on the right , it serves good wholesome dishes at reasonable prices )
Hope this helps

radicalrabit
11th Feb 2008, 12:47
Thanks for that
I was wondering, do the neighbours complain about doing circuits?
It says avoid the houses and hospital.
It is certainly the closest place to home for me to fly to, Shame there isnt a flying school based over there but from other comments I have seen re wind direction speed shear etc make it challenging flying. All the better for learning I suppse.
I think it would be great to fly over there and do a days training and then fly back to Barton (Manchester City International or what ever it is now called)

willylopez
11th Feb 2008, 13:31
Flying in to crossland can be challenging , watch out for windshear and poor vis ( imc ) at times.
I have done some circuits as it is on top of the moor with very few houses and a working quarry at the end.
Hope this helps , all the best !:O

liam548
11th Feb 2008, 14:00
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=311653

Them thar hills
11th Feb 2008, 16:36
RR
Crosland Moor presently has very extensive quarrying in progress, especially at the south-western end.
The airfield never has been licensed, so there's no PPL/SEP training although there was a microlight operation based there until recently - they didn't require a licensed airfield.
Yes the locals don't care for noisily operated aircraft. But noisy aircraft can be operated quietly.

Very strictly PPR.

tth