PDA

View Full Version : Glasgow Short Runway

PH-UKU
10th Feb 2008, 11:31
I hear that the BAA are planning to close the short runway at Glasgow .. citing costs and security - can anyway provide any more accurate info ?

If true, this is a disgraceful decision that sadly shows the BAA's lack of concern for anything other than commercial profit.

The short runway is used to expedite departures by Saabs, Twin Otters, Air Squadron and Flying Club operations and saves a lot of grief orbiting or waiting for a wake vortex gap on the main runway - it can also be extremely useful to lighter aircraft when the westerlies get above 12-15kts. This is another squeeze in GA. It happened at Edinburgh a few years ago.

Two rumours ... one is that BAA (Globespan?) intend to build a hangar near the threshold - would that be 27 or 09 threshold? What effect/interference will that have on the radars or VOR ?

The other .. that BAA want to turn it into a parking area for cargo aircraft.

I heard that BAA claim it costs £9M a year. I would love to see their justification of this. If the BAA are going to gain commercially to that tune then it would seem fair that those who are disadvantaged by this be given some compensation. I would have thought it could remain as a VFR only runway, at least departures westbound could be preserved, and perhaps a reduced length for landing on the westerly (if the hangar is going at the east end?).?

PPRuNe Radar
11th Feb 2008, 10:40
Maybe they will be able to fit in another 40 odd shops.

The BAA run the only shopping centres in the UK with their own runways. :}