PDA

View Full Version : What happend to me today?

modelman
9th Feb 2008, 22:15
Flew to Shobdon today with another PPL in the RHS.Uneventful flight,into that very wide circuit for 09,nice and stable approach (although the a/c was moving about a little more than I would have expected for calm RWY status).
Into the flare,then it happened:sink,bounce,sink,porpoising,initiated a go around. ( my first ever one that was my 'fault').
My RHS just said 'windshear'
Second landing was a similar tale but I got down ok.

Has knocked my confidence a bit,and didn't get another landing today as it was his go to fly us back home.
Always been quite happy with my landings and I actually quite like it when conditions are a bit challenging now and then but this bothers me as I am still not sure what went wrong although windshear may explain it.

Any more suggestions?

MM

Fuji Abound
9th Feb 2008, 22:27
Funnily enough the upper winds were quite strong today compared to almost no wind on the ground. We had 28 at FL65 mid channel, and not much less at 2,000.

However, it may have just have been still conditions on the ground. I always reckon it is far harder to carry out a really good landing in no wind at all. That would be my guess any way, and if so, nothing to worry about a. They often occur after a period of strongish wind and you get more use to landing with a good head wind.

Arfur Feck-Sake
9th Feb 2008, 23:13
Maybe someone who flies from Shobdon can confirm, but aren't there trees beside the runway which create a bit of local turbulence? I remember making a bumpy approach a few years ago. You executed a go around which was the right decision.

Brian Abraham
10th Feb 2008, 04:44
I wouldn't worry too much. A smooth landing is mostly luck; two in a row is all luck; three in a row is prevarication. (an old quote, even the best don't always get it right) and if you don't get the first on the list below, well you still have the other two to look forward to.

The three best things in life are:
- a good landing,
- a good orgasm,
- a good bowel movement

DX Wombat
10th Feb 2008, 08:56
but aren't there trees beside the runway Lots of them! :\ Not to mention the fact that it is surrounded by hills of varying heights.Some of those trees can be seen here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DX_Wombat/P1011865.jpg
There is also an excellent overhead view of the airfield taken be David Johnstone which can be seen in the members photos here. (http://www.aeroclub.co.uk)

DX Wombat
10th Feb 2008, 10:49
modelman, I forgot to say that if there is mountain wave around, as there is frequently, then it is not unknown to encounter rotor at or near the threshold. Some weeks back I had been having an IMC lesson with the CFI, almost had the wheels on the ground when it became very unstable so started to go around. The CFI being very much more experienced in local conditions promptly took over and landed the aircraft - so don't beat yourself up about it and do come back to visit us again sometime.

llanfairpg
10th Feb 2008, 12:05
sink,bounce,sink,porpoising,initiated a go around.

That should not dent your confidence because you did the correct thing by going around.

Many low hour pilots make the same control inputs for each landing, experience teaches you to adjust sink rate and attitude according to the rate of descent in the roundout and flare to touchdown. The use of power to control rate of descent from the flare is also another tool not often used by low hour pilots. Consideration should be given to modifying technique so as to round out lower and get the aircraft onto the ground asap in conditions of shear/sink, this is not the time to prolong holding off, much better to accept a flatter attitude and get the aircraft on the ground and hold it there.

Shobdon sometimes experiences rotor from wave and it can be quite a suprise and very turbulent with hardly any wind in the sock.

Lasiorhinus
11th Feb 2008, 06:41
The three best things in life are:
- a good landing,
- a good orgasm,
- a good bowel movement

And as the story goes, a night landing on an aircraft carrier is the only way to achieve all three at the same time..:eek:

TotalBeginner
11th Feb 2008, 16:06
I wouldn't let it knock your confidence, it happens to all of us. I'd take some comfort in the fact that you were able to identify that things weren't going to plan and that you showed good airmanship by going-around :ok:. Some things are just out of our control.

Just to add, I've noticed a warning on my flight guide for Shobdon...

Visiting pilots are warned that windshear may occur when the following conditions apply: Mountain wave accompanied by wind with a northern component.

Not sure what the conditions were on the day you visited, but windshear could well be the answer.

Geoffly
11th Feb 2008, 20:36
Having known Modelman for a while and know him to be very capable, but, these things catch you out now and again when we least expect it as we all know too well :(. I was the No 2 sitting in the RH seat at the time :eek: and Shobdon does have a habit of testing a PPL's skills. The first time I approached Shobdon some years ago there was a Cessna on finals in front and he suddenly went off the centre line over towards the woods. We all said "What is he doing?" :confused: When I got to within 100ft I suddenly realised what had happened to him because and I had to apply power to drag the A/C back onto the centre line and a bumpy decent to the runway followed :{. Compton Abbas can also be tricky.

Of couse it could have been that large piece of Bread Pudding that Modelman had consumed beforhand that was rolling arround altering the CofG!!!!! Ho Ho sorry MM. :O

We will have to do that one again sometime. :ok:

Geoffly