PDA

View Full Version : Solooooooo!

Redbird72
9th Feb 2008, 16:21
Just when I thought I'd done the last landing of the lesson, the man in charge turns round and suggests I do a circuit on my own. He then tried very hard not to giggle when all the colour drained out of my face!

He was very sure that I was ready. I established this by asking him if he was really, really sure on that point, oh, about 20 times between the runway and the school!:}

Apart from being buffeted like mad queuing too close behind a twin at the holding point everything went swimmingly - very strange having so much space to myself in the aircraft, and ended up talking incessantly to myself - does madness go hand in hand with flying?:ok:

Now just trying to control the grin before I turn in the Joker!

I know you've all heard this before, but I can't help myself.:}

Chequeredflag
9th Feb 2008, 16:37
Many congrats Redbird, best of luck with the rest of the course

matspart3
9th Feb 2008, 17:17
Congratulations! Welcome to the club....nice day for it!

llanfairpg
9th Feb 2008, 17:47
Congratulations!

Chuck Ellsworth
9th Feb 2008, 17:52
:ok::ok::ok:

jxc
9th Feb 2008, 18:29
where are you training ?
congrats

DX Wombat
9th Feb 2008, 18:47
I know you've all heard this before, but I can't help myself.We may have heard it all before but for some of us it just brings it all back again and it's nice to have a good excuse to remember it. I'm only glad that Plod wasn't out in force as I drove back to West Yorkshire from Halfpenny Green the following night with an enormous grin seemingly bolted and superglued into place. I'm sure they would have wondered what I had been up to.
Well done! Enjoy the wonderful feeling. :ok: :D :ok: :D :ok: :D :ok: :D :ok: :D

Charles Sierra
9th Feb 2008, 19:27
Well done !!!!! .Like most of us today you were sharing your experience with airfields up and down the country and near continent due to high pressure and radio signals !!!!! In Norfolk we were hearing downwind calls from airfields in North yorkshire :ugh:

BackPacker
10th Feb 2008, 00:20
Congratulations. You are officially an Aviator now.

Bullethead
10th Feb 2008, 01:12
Congratulations mate!! Well done. :ok:

You'll remember the day for the rest of your life. I still remember my first solo, 30Nov1973, like it was yesterday.

Regards and welcome to the club,
BH.

sternone
10th Feb 2008, 06:34
Congratulations!! You will see that from now on, you will progress faster and you will learn more in your comming solo flights! Well done!!

Redbird72
10th Feb 2008, 09:23
jxc:
where are you training ?

Sunny Southend on Sea (or so it says on the bins outside Rossi's!) :ok:

gmc17
10th Feb 2008, 12:00
congrats

did my first solo nav today (all of 8 miles from the airfield) but nice to get out of the circuit and, more to the point, back in without upsetting anyone!

gmc

kms901
10th Feb 2008, 17:43
Well done. Nobody ever forgets their first solo.I sang tunelessly all the way round mine.

millard64
10th Feb 2008, 18:13
Congratulations, Remember it well as you will only ever have one first Solo! :ok:

jaycee58
10th Feb 2008, 23:16
What did you sing? I think it was on these forums that a lady pilot decided to sing "I believe I Can Fly" but opted for "I Will Survive" instead!!

I wish I had a better memory of my first solo. It was only 6 flying hours ago!! I remember doing a good landing but not a lot else!

Bullethead
10th Feb 2008, 23:33
I remember how much better the aircraft performed now it was 90kgs lighter and thinking while on downwind that I'd better get this right as I'm the only one here who can land this thing.

The airport where I learn't, Bankstown which is west of Sydney, has a triple parallel main runway setup and after I was established on finals the tower called up and asked if I could sidestep from the Left to the Centre runway due late clearing traffic. I thought why not and did it, but the look on my instructor's face, who was standing by the threshhold, was priceless. I didn't find out what a 'sidestep approach' was until years later.

Regards,
Bh.

Insight
11th Feb 2008, 13:48
Congrats, the prospect of a first solo terrifies me but I am only 4 hours into my training with large gaps between the hours :(

Still, doing something about that now, should be able to fly 3 or 4 times a month!

poss
11th Feb 2008, 16:31
part from being buffeted like mad queuing too close behind a twin at the holding point everything went swimmingly - very strange having so much space to myself in the aircraft, and ended up talking incessantly to myself -
does madness go hand in hand with flying?

Congratulations mate. I've not long done mine and still feel how you feel, next is solo nav!
Yes I think madness comes with it. I think some people talk to themselves and some people sing! :p I sing. (perhaps its just me and you?^_^)

Redbird72
12th Feb 2008, 13:10
gmc17:

did my first solo nav today (all of 8 miles from the airfield) but nice to get out of the circuit and, more to the point, back in without upsetting anyone!

Congrats to you too!

jaycee58:

What did you sing?

Nope, no singing - just incessant talking. Ironic really, normally in the circuit is the one time I shut up ...

G SXTY
12th Feb 2008, 22:22
Congratulations and welcome to the club! :ok:

There are many great moments in flying, but nothing - absolutely nothing - beats your first solo. You're a pilot now!

swainy1976
13th Feb 2008, 03:09
Congrats! I was always too worried about having an open mike to sing or talk too much!