PDA

View Full Version : Wind limits, (not cross or tail wind)

stilton
9th Feb 2008, 06:17
We are all familiar with the usual cross and tail wind limits for our respective aircraft and headwind for autolanding.

What about absolute wind limits not exceeding the above . We have no guidance at my operator, how high a wind value would you accept even remaining within limits ?

Example, a 50-60 knot headwind or greater, apart from the potential shear considerations how about just taxiing around the airport, hazards such as objects blowing at you , aircraft weathervaning etc..

Interested in your respective procedures.

Wingswinger
9th Feb 2008, 06:42
There is an absolute wind limit on A320 series for ground operations - 65 kts. An additional consideration is cargo door operation. The limit for that is 40 kts unless the aircraft is parked into wind or parked so that the door is on the leeward side in which case it is 50 kts. The cargo doors must be shut at 65 kts.

I think Boeings have something similar but I can't remember.

HTH,

WS

olepilot
9th Feb 2008, 19:01
acc my book
max wind psgr door op 65kts
max wind cargo door op 40/50kts
cargo door to be closed before wind exceeds 65kts
i.e. no "absolute wind limit on A320 series for ground operations"

Dani
9th Feb 2008, 19:15
Most aircraft don't have an absolute windspeed limit. A steady wind to the nose can theoretically be infinite strong. As you know, the aircraft performance is not the problem, it's the doors and the handling of the aircraft (tie it down).

However, most airline issue a maximum wind speed in their operational manuals, and this is around 60 kts.

Dani

chornedsnorkack
9th Feb 2008, 19:24
Most aircraft don't have an absolute windspeed limit. A steady wind to the nose can theoretically be infinite strong. As you know, the aircraft performance is not the problem,

Can normal aircraft handle approach and touchdown tail first?