PDA

View Full Version : JAR-UK CAA and an N-reg a/c

mothflyer
8th Feb 2008, 13:28
Hi everyone, don't hate me for raising this question as I know its been tackled a few times.

I have a JAA licence issed by the UK CAA. I live in Germany and want to fly a N-reg aircraft here. I dont always like things complicated but I have a passion for the Stearman and this one happens to be N-reg and I like to stay on the right side of the rules as Im sure we all do.

I have read some of the hundreds of posts about what's legal and whats not, and short of falling asleep several times :zzz: am still not clear what I can do or how I go about doing it!

What do I HAVE to do to go flying in an N-reg aircraft in Germany with my licence?

Thanks for anyones time, even if it is again... :)

IO540
8th Feb 2008, 14:45
According to FAR 61.3 you can fly an N-reg anywhere in the world provided you have a license issued by the country in question.

Most people would think that you therefore need a German issued license to fly an N-reg in Germany, and a UK issued JAA one is no good.

But this is one of the grey areas. I have in my possession two written replies from the FAA, one saying it is OK and the other saying it is not.

julian_storey
10th Feb 2008, 14:37
The FAA will issue you with an FAA PPL on the basis of your UK licence.

Doesn't cost anything (apart from the money that the CAA want to verify who you are) although you might need to venture over to the US to pick it up.

There are a billion threads on here which explain in detail how to do this.

Have fun in the Stearman!

Julian

derekf
10th Feb 2008, 14:59
Play safe - get an FAA PPL on the back of your JAR one

Whopity
10th Feb 2008, 18:44
You state that you live in Germany therefore one option is to transfer the State of Licence issue to Germany; quite straight forward with a JAA licence, but you would be limited to flying the aircraft in Germany.

Keygrip
11th Feb 2008, 14:17
An "option", Whopity?

Thought the deal was if you live or work in a member state in excess of 180 days per year, you were required to change state of licence issue - so mothflyer should have a Volkslicence anyway, nein?

selfin
11th Feb 2008, 14:32
There is no rule in JAR-FCL requiring the initial State of Issue to be the one to which you keep occupational/etc ties. The 180 day/etc rule applies only if requesting a transfer.

Keygrip
11th Feb 2008, 22:33
Don't think anybody said there was, selfin.

selfin
12th Feb 2008, 00:56
Keygrip, where does the requirement to change state of issue come into the picture?

Sam Rutherford
12th Feb 2008, 22:42
Keep aircraft on N register. Get a piggyback licence from the FAA (it's free, but you need to go to US to get it).

I have an N reg, will base it in Belgium, fly it on my FAA piggyback licence.

No problem.

Sam.

PS If you are planning on buying, but have not already done so, SIGN THE CONTRACTS NOW to take advantage of the Danish loophole before 1st April 2008 - PM me if you don't know about this purchase 'technique'.