PDA

View Full Version : PPL Training in West Cambridge

cacacloud
8th Feb 2008, 10:42
Hello
I have recently moved to the west of Cambridge and looking to finally embark on my PPL. No hours yet only a few times up with friends.
I have been looking at the "Rural Flying Corp" at Bourne as they are very close. As I am new to the area are there any other schools I could/should be looking at?
Does anyone have any experiences of the RFC?
I think Cambridge Airport is not going to be
that easy to get to from where I live.
Thanks in advance for your help

gliderone
8th Feb 2008, 12:59
I got my NPPL with the RFC about 3 years ago and they're fantastic. The clubhouse is a bit difficult to find but once you've actually located the place it's a real peach. They're rates are fantastic and the CFI is on hand for the examinations. You can easily do a night course in RT as well, which I did (they probably still do it) and I couldn't complain. The aircraft are well maintained too. Although if you're looking for a flash clubhouse with swanky leather chairs and a big ops department, go to Cambridge and pay £175 an hour, but if you want a rural, friendly, cheap but professional service, go to Bourn. :)

ps. incidentally, the CFI at Bourn I believe trained most of Cambridge Aero Club's instructors!

If you'd like any more advice, feel free to send me a private message.

TotalBeginner
8th Feb 2008, 13:11
I obtained my PPL at RFC in 2004 and I agree entirely with with cacacloud! Excellent instructors and a great place to learn!

cacacloud
8th Feb 2008, 14:44
Hello
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I think as Bourn is close I will go there, but i will have a look at the RAF Henlow option as well
cheers

oby
8th Feb 2008, 16:53
My old FI is now at Henlow....I can recommend him immensely. PM me if you want his details

Gertrude the Wombat
8th Feb 2008, 20:27
Cambridge Aero Club is good as well. But if you're coming from the west it's fifteen minutes further to drive, and it's almost certainly more expensive.

It does, however, have newer aircraft with more electronics, full ATC (whether that's a plus or a minus is up to you), and a runway that doesn't shake you to pieces every time you take off or land.

Your choice!

znww5
8th Feb 2008, 23:11
There's also Little Gransden - it's a grass airfield, but then so is Henlow. I seem to recall that Henlow is not hugely cheap, but perhaps I'm a skinflint!

Most people would recommend that you visit all the contenders - preferably on a poor weather day so that busy instructors will have the time to talk to you - and basically 'try them on for size'. Do you like the atmosphere, people, aircraft etc.

Good luck with the search and your flying :ok:

rauxaman
9th Feb 2008, 19:01
Stay away from Little Gransden is my advice... I moved to West Cambridge and found them very unfriendly.

Foxy Loxy
10th Feb 2008, 00:07
If you are ex-RAF, you could try Wyton. It's still an active military airfield, and as such you would be expected to conform to military procedures. If you want any further info, please PM me.

Foxy