PDA

View Full Version : Primary radar coverage map - uk ?

whyisitsohard
7th Feb 2008, 21:58
Guys, I'm after a map showing primary radar coverage for the UK, especially Scotland.

I have looked at AIP but cant see a map.

Anyone give me a link?

david

ATCO Fred
7th Feb 2008, 22:01
Try the map of Lars coverage in the back of the FIH. Add the NATS en-route radars and all terminal units (plus the AWACS) and I think you'll see that no where is safe - we can see what you are up to at all times....;)

Daysleeper
10th Feb 2008, 06:17
we can see what you are up to at all times

If only that were true.

Roffa
10th Feb 2008, 11:44
I doubt you'll get anything in great detail in the public domain, at least not as far as NATS' systems are concerned.

NATS obviously has quite detailed info on the performance and coverage of its own radar systems but the info is, I believe, considered commercially sensitive so you're unlikely to get access to it unless you write to them directly and can come up with a good reason.

legionbleu
11th Feb 2008, 21:56
Do I spot a wind farm developer trying to find free information?

:ugh:

PPRuNe Radar
14th Feb 2008, 22:19
Theoretical coverage diagrams for 10,000' and 25,000' are contained within the UK AIP ENR section.

UK Aeronautical Information Service (http://www.ais.org.uk)

You will have to register, then go to 10,000 Radar Coverage (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/enr/EG_ENR_6_1_6_1_en.PDF)

Radarspod
15th Feb 2008, 17:55
The AIP is really an indicitive guide, I wouldn't take it as true (i.e. its out of date).

Spitoon
15th Feb 2008, 18:18
I know it's easy to forget sometimes when you work for one particular service provider but I feel I should point out that the AIP diagram is for NATS operated radars only.

NorthSouth
16th Feb 2008, 13:32
legionbleu:Do I spot a wind farm developer trying to find free information?If so NATS provides it here (http://www.bwea.com/aviation/nats.html)
NS

PPRuNe Radar
16th Feb 2008, 14:50
I know it's easy to forget sometimes when you work for one particular service provider but I feel I should point out that the AIP diagram is for NATS operated radars only.

Very true, and it does state it is NATS coverage on the diagram. That said, how many other service providers are working in airspace above 10,000' ? And there are even less at 25,000'.

Spitoon
16th Feb 2008, 18:12
The original question was about coverage rather than service areas. Nonetheless controllers at many regional airports are working above 10,000 ft - and higher, if the sitaution calls for it.

Back in the days when I got my licence the privileges of my Approach Radar Control rating limited me to FL 245 and below (or was it below FL 245) and working outside CAS I regularly worked up to that level. These days I don't think that limitation is still in the rules.

And there is the other important point that, even if you're not providing services in some of the airspace around you, it sure is nice to be able to see what's coming.

With apologies for drifting from the original question.