View Full Version : IATRA exam information

Shepski
6th Mar 2000, 06:00
Hi There,

I have to write the IATRA ASAP for a position in my company and with no time for an Aerocourse seminar I was wondering if there is any study material specific to this exam besdies the ATPL books.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

------------------
Cheers,

Shep

Luftwaffle
6th Mar 2000, 09:36
Go to http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/general/FLTCREW/study.htm and there you can download the study and reference guide for any Transport Canada exam. Each document is a fairly detailed syllabus, and if you research each point listed, you will not be surprised by anything on the exam. Note that the Commercial Pilot syllabus is included by reference in the ATPL one, so you'll need it, too.

Everything you need for the air law section is available on the web at http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/regserv/carac/CARS/html_e/doc/index.htm
Don't try to use the site search engine (it searches obsolete sections, for some reason), instead use your browser's find on page command.

The AIP Canada is a very useful reference. I think I could have passed all my exams using it alone.

Get a hold of some Canadian charts if you're not familiar with them. Charts vary from country to country.

If you're not from Canada, pay particular attention to the aspects of weather that are different here than where you are from. Know critical surface contamination, cold weather adjustments to published altitudes, and local style tweaks on FAs and TAFs.

Good luck. Tell us how it goes.

Shepski
6th Mar 2000, 10:04
Hi Luftwaffle,

Thanks for the help...I'm in Winnipeg and I need the exam for a type rating but I got the position last week and the sim course is booked very soon so I need the exam written ASAP.

Following your link, it turns out there will be an IATRA Type Rating study and reference guide after April 20, 2000...too late for me so I'll just have to study the ATPL books.

------------------
Cheers,

Shep

penguin
7th Mar 2000, 01:54
Try Culhane's Airline Transport Ground School and Written Test Book. The written test book includes 2 SARON and 2 SAMRA. He has a web site but I don't know the url. Try a search on Yahoo or call Culhane at 604.279.0179. Good Luck!!

Shepski
7th Mar 2000, 11:01
Thanks for the tip Penguin!

Found the website here:
http://www.culhanebooks.com/

Turns out all the ATPL groundschool books are on back order at every place I checked in Manitoba and Alberta.

------------------
Cheers,

Shep

penguin
9th Mar 2000, 03:16
Try Aviation World in Toronto. Give them a call at (416) 674-5959
or North American Toll-Free: 1-800-668-1987
Fax: (416) 674-5915
E-Mail: [email protected] http://www.aviationworld.net

I have a 1997 written test book. I don't think it will help you.

Matty
11th Mar 2000, 03:25
I recommend Culhane's Airline Transport. I wrote my exam with this book. You shoudn't have any problem.

Shepski
11th Mar 2000, 09:37
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help...

I wrote the exam yesterday and did very well. All I had to study with was the Aerocourse workbook and Culhane written test book...no actual groundschool books but I used the AIP and a CARS CD to look for answers.

Now that that is out of the way I'm off to SimuFlite where the real work starts.

Thanks again!

------------------
Cheers,

Shep

[This message has been edited by Shepski (edited 11 March 2000).]

penguin
11th Mar 2000, 19:41
Congrats Shep!! Are you moving onto jets?

Shepski
11th Mar 2000, 22:13
oops

Shepski
11th Mar 2000, 22:18
oops

Shepski
11th Mar 2000, 22:23
Hi Penguin,

Thanks a lot!

I have been flying a PC-12 out of Winnipeg as well as a Swearingen Merlin 2A out of Churchill, Manitoba doing arctic medevacs. Last week I got an F/O position on my company's Learjet 35A.

How about yourself?

------------------
Cheers,

Shep

penguin
13th Mar 2000, 07:32
Just a PPL working towards CPL! How did you get your first job?

Shepski
13th Mar 2000, 08:07
I was living in Edmonton at the time and after I finished my multi-IFR I went on a road trip through Alberta looking for a job in late fall(1998). I had no luck so I waited the winter out and went on another trip in early February of last year, this time through Saskatchewan, Manitoba(including Thompson), and then out to Thunder Bay. Spent about 8000 km on the road in 9 days and 1.5 months later I was hired by Keewatin Air out of Winnipeg.

The advice I can offer is to hit the road in early February and don't wait untill Spring as most positions will already be filled by then. Don't fax resumes unless you follow it up with a visit in person, all operators treat 250 hour pilots as if they can't fly anyway ;-) so they end up hiring based on the person. As well, if you venture into NW Ontario go with a float rating as most of the operators are float based.

Don't give up because a lot of hiring is based on timing..."right place at the right time"...was for me.

One other thing...don't wear a suit(save it for the airlines) and never offer to work for free just to get in. :-)

Best of luck!

------------------
Cheers,

Shep

penguin
15th Mar 2000, 08:56
Thanks.