PDA

View Full Version : Mode S - again!

Sedbergh
7th Feb 2008, 07:50
For the many who will be affected, you are strongly advised to look at the CAA's document dated 1st February 2008 titled

"Consultation - Proposal for an incremental expansion of the use of SSR Mode S transponders in the UK" on

www.caa.co.uk

The floggings will continue until morale improves

FullyFlapped
7th Feb 2008, 11:24
Can't really see this makes much difference, does it ? (Unless I've "speed-read" my way past the important bits). Whatever they introduce will have a 3-year transition period taking it up to 2012, which is the end of the current transition agreement anyway ?

Sedbergh
7th Feb 2008, 11:57
At first glance it's better than the CAA's original "fit mode S to every flying object everywhere" proposal.

If you want to fly in controlled airspace I guess there's a fair argument for transponders so them down there can see you.

But the sections on "Transponder Mandatory Zones" and their possible application anywhere, and at short notice sounds a bit like "we'll squeeze you into smaller and smaller bits of open airspace until you surrender and fit a transponder" to me.

And the new cost estimates for installing and operating Mode S look a lot more realistic - but would double the value of many microlights and gliders!:(:(