PDA

View Full Version : UAE Abu Dhabi en route

Sammer30
6th Feb 2008, 13:51
Hello! First poster here :)
I have been searching about information for en-route control in the uae.
I've spoken to a very nice fella from serco about abu dhabi and am extremely interestred.
I have a few quick questions though...firstly I believe as serco are a uk company (and i'm a controller in the uk Swanwick) for the first year I would be liable for national insurance contributions...11% of my salary for the first year. I believe that being employed by Gcaa would negate this. However from reading other posts i'm not sure what other differences there are between the contracts? I'm a bit worried about the housing situation in abu dhabi and am i correct in saying that serco help find (or have) accomadation? My girlfriend is a teacher and believes she might get accomadation...it seems loads of guys have teacher significant others so does anyone have any experience of this?

That leads me on to my next question...she is currently my girlfriend. Do I really need to pop the question and get married or can the situation be worked around? Not really sure how strict cohabiting etc it is in abu?

To be brutally honest i'm not going for the cash but more for the lifestyle, that said however the pension/contract stuff here are pretty good and I don't really want to be worse off. I know people keep asking but after accomadation (nothing flash just a two bed apartment) costs in what region would your monthly wage be gbp?

ps i have treid emailing the gcaa via their website but my emails keep on being bounced back as if its the incorrect address? anyone have another way of email/contacting them.

Any help on any questions really would be greatfully recieved

cheers

ItchyFeet2
6th Feb 2008, 14:34
Check PMs IF2!

calling homer
2nd Nov 2008, 16:22
I'd be interested in any information about enroute controlling jobs in Abu Dhabi or other regions of the middle east. Pay and conditions etc
I've been through a lot of the posts on here would like the latest situation.
Currently in NATS with 10 years valid exp and am considering a change of location.
Would appreciate any info

250 kts
2nd Nov 2008, 18:50
Hope she's an English teacher with all of those spelelling mishshtakes.:E

Maybe you spelt the GCAA address incorrectly???

iraatc777
2nd Nov 2008, 19:41
I`ve already post you a message/check on it/sammer 30

BIRD2008
2nd Nov 2008, 19:48
Hi
I was wondering if anybody could give me some info on work in Abu Dhabi ACC. What is the difference in working for Serco and GCAA directly? Is the money the same, all the benefits and etc.?

How is the housing issue in Abu Dhabi? Does the company help finding apartments or do you get housing allowance. Also is it easy for the spouse to get a job in the Emirates? How is living in Abu Dhabi?

The ad from GCAA said the pay would be 47000 aed + medical + bonuses. Does anybody know what is uncluded in the bonuses?

Also what is the validation time in the ACC?

Thanks a lot. Cheers

iraatc777
3rd Nov 2008, 19:13
try UAE/Dubai thread - folks are talking there about everything:mad:

The Jolly Roger
5th Nov 2008, 16:20
Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm not long validated here in the UAE ACC so I hope what info I write is someway current and helps.

The training takes about 3 months all in. Short, (and when I say short, I mean 5 days) classroom work to learn the airspace and the procedures for the UAE along with the letters of agreement between ourselves and the adjacent sectors. Then its right on into ojti. 220hrs in total over around three months. Last I heard that they wanted to increase this time maybe to 260hrs because of the complexity and sometimes "grey" procedures. In that time you complete 4 practical assesments and around about the same written. Whether or not your with SERCO or GCAA, everyones training is the same. 4 sector at present (not enough). But steps are being taken to reorder and split these sectors into more manageable blocks of airspace. Also, certain air routes are being looked at. North sector deals mainly in sequencing traffic for Dubai App and a number of overflights which can't be sniffed at. Central deals with departure traffic from Abu Dhabi and Dubai and feeds them into Bahrain..albeit through a pinhole but somehow it works out. Most traffic in this sector is in the mornings around 730 onwards. Then East sector, which deals with departures and arrival sequencing from the east. Not a nice place when the preverbial hits the fan!!! Then thee's the lazy south, although the traffic here has picked up somewhat lately. Planners are available on request.

Now to brass tacs!!!......Currently the package offered by the GCAA is 47,000Dhs per month. Out of this comes your housing allowance which is about 8500Dhs or so per month give or take. Up front the GCAA will give you 100,000Dhs per year as your housing allowance which will get you a nice cozy box somewhere outside heroes pub!!! For a two bed apart in Abu Dhabi, expect to pay around 150,000Dhs per year upwards. If you have kids...well...good luck!! Thats where SERCO come in......AT THE MOMENT, SERCO will find this accommodation for you. SERCO have old leasing contracts around town so the 100,000Dhs you get up front after you validate covers this well. With regards the remainder of the SERCO contract, you are paid 40,000Dhs per month incl accomm. So as you can see its 7,000Dhs per month less than GCAA. I hope I explained the housing issue ok!!!! Accommodation is at a premium in Abu Dhabi at the moment. Its far behind Dubai in its development. Most new buildings won't come on line till next year at the earliest so it remains to be seen whether or not the housing will meet the demand...I have my doubts. At the moment a new contract is being negotiated by SERCO with GCAA for the next 3 years. Housing will HAVE to be considered seriously and also schooling. The housing allowance will HAVE to at least double to meet the cost of finding an apartment. Again, I have my doubts. We'll wait and see.

Other than the housing and schooling, everything else is much cheaper than europe. A nice car will cost around €25k+ (sport saloon, 4wd) depending on what you want. To fill the tank with juice costs about €20 or so...which shouldn't be much of a surprise now should it!!!!!. Very nice restaurants with good, inexpensive food. Of course some stuff like BEER is more expensive as it has to be imported.....a bottle of corona or pint of beer will cost around €6.

But having been here for a while now, I have settled in well and very much enjoy working here. Its a great challenge and great oppurtunity to spend and/or save some money and see some of the world. You'll hear mixed opinions but I guess you'll find that the world over. Personally, I'm enjoying the experience will do for a few yers yet.

Hopefully the above babble will give you some insight into working here. Any more questions just mail me or write it up and i'll do my best to answer.

PS: Schooling costs around 48,000Dhs per year per child...and thats only primary education....I'm open to correction on that!!

Cheerz

calling homer
6th Nov 2008, 19:22
So what is the difference between a GCAA contracted controller and a SERCO controller? Which would a new entrant be with?

The Jolly Roger
6th Nov 2008, 22:01
Either....whichever one you want to join...We all do thesame work, same building, work side by side..no difference except for the pay at the moment. And the SERCO boys have to wear the "white shirt"........sometimes people get the immpression you work for carrefour when your down gettin lunch!!!! :8

Funk
8th Nov 2008, 08:42
My cynical take on things..if you're a young single guy or a young childless couple fair enough come for the experience and maybe some money.
In a word Abu Dhabi is a hole, the city is falling apart pretty amazing given it is the most wealthy emirate in one of the most wealthy countries in the world.
The accommodation is rubbish and is not likely to get better soon. Schooling is ridiculously expensive and not that good unless you can get your child into the British School or the American Community School.
Lifestyle wise unless you like drinking, shopping or getting out into the desert there is stuff all to do here. Expect a long wait to get into the British club otherwise AD Health & Fitness is the other affordable club.

When I came here 3 years ago it was much greener & cleaner, now the roads are dug up like Dubai and the place stinks of garbage and **** (sour earth from building sites).

The upside is that the work is good and I work with a great bunch of guys.

Funk
9th Nov 2008, 02:49
Quote:
Abu Dhabi is a hole
Quote:
The accommodation is rubbish
Quote:
the place stinks of garbage and ****
Damn you must have got hold of the new recruitment pamphlet we've been working on, as you've lifted those quotes straight out of it.

Maybe I've been here too long but I enjoy the place and maybe have lost my sense of smell. http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Yes but until recently you're at work for 16+ hours a day 6 days a week which supports my last statement the work is fun. :}

Don't mind me I haven't got out of the country since April and even then it was a very rushed break...I am suffering from Middle East fatigue. Another bit of advice to help you cope, spend every leave break ex-UAE.

northernmonkey1261
12th Nov 2008, 08:49
joking aside, what roster do you work, please? 6 on 4 off or what?

Funk
12th Nov 2008, 09:03
6 on 1 rest 3 off, some call it a 6 on 4 off but they are delusional :}
It is a pretty good rotation considering I come from oz where we did 4on 2off with those ridiculous morning/doggo shifts...never ever again :ok:

Fox3snapshot
12th Nov 2008, 09:08
M M A A N N Sleep Off Off Off

M: 0630 - 1430
A: 1430 - 2230
N: 2230 - 0630

Evening shift can also be rostered depending on staffing which is 1830 - 0230.

Standby shifts if rostering permits 0630 - 0630 covering any 3 of the shifts.

LACCATCO
13th Nov 2008, 18:21
Hi guys,

Am currently at Swanwick looking at coming to Abu Dhabi but it seems that there are two employers - GCAA and Serco.

I know what GCAA are offering but whats the deal with working for Serco out there? Any people employed by either got any advice?

Also any new guys out there? How you finding it?

Any info would be much appreciated...

Thanks in advance

P.S Spoke to funk about this 2 years ago and he had some good info... How you finding it now Funk?

Rule3
13th Nov 2008, 20:16
Read the :mad:thread ,then slap yourself in the face with a wet fish,:rolleyes::}

RadarKing
13th Nov 2008, 22:03
I'd like to impose on you for one more question. How long does it take to get hired by either Serco or GCAA? My current assignment ends next October and I'm looking to move on.
Many thanks.