PDA

View Full Version : Pan OPS 4

spierpoint jones
6th Feb 2008, 02:26
Greetings, Need some help understanding Pan OPS 4. It mentions that the acceleration segment is no longer applicable. What acceleration segment is this in reference to??

Any assistance is much appreciated. Any useful websites etc....

Thanks
jones:ok:

reynoldsno1
6th Feb 2008, 19:30
I ssume you are referring to PANS OPS Volume 2 - the level acceleration segment was removed some time ago. It was used during departure and missed approach procedures to allow aircraft with limited performance to achieve safety speed before climbing. It just isn't required anymore - or if it is, it will be the responsibility of the operator.

spierpoint jones
9th Feb 2008, 11:51
Many thanks R no.1

jones:ok:

keithl
9th Feb 2008, 20:30
Why are there so many references on pPrune to "PAN Ops"?

PANS stands for Provision of Air Navigation Services". It is NOT to do with PAN (Urgency), PAN (Frying) or PAN (Critical Condemnation of Showbiz event).

OzExpat
10th Feb 2008, 11:14
I confess to being as irked as keithl but I think that the explanation is quite simple, in that most folk equate PANS OPS to being one document and, therefore, the singular form PAN seems more appropriate. Perhaps folks need to be aware that there are 2 distinct volumes? :E

The devil is in the detail... :}

Bad to the bones
10th Feb 2008, 15:01
PAN OPS margin notation indicates that the state has specified that the instrument app procedure complies with ICAO (procedures for air navigation services-Aircraft Operations) DOC 8168 vol II, 1st or Second edition. A/C handling speeds for this procedures are shown in "A/C APPROACH CATEGORY (ICAO) Known deviations to these handling speeds are charted.
PANS OPS 3 Indicates that HOLDING speeds to be used are those specified in DOC 8168 Vol II 3rd edition.
PANS OPS 4. Indicates that the acceleration segment criteria have been deleted as formerly published in DOC 8168 Vol II 3rd edition Jeppesen Air Traffic Control (200 series) pages provide an extract of the latest PANS OPS 8168 VOL I and the earlier version concerning holding speeds. Holding tables for both the earlier and latest edition 3 and 4 of PANS OPS are included in these pages.
TERPS indicates that the state has specified that the instrument app procedure complies with the United States Standards for Terminal instrument Procedures

DFC
10th Feb 2008, 17:17
KeithL,

I think that you need to recheck what PANS stands for.

Regards,

DFC