PDA

View Full Version : hs748 question re landing procedures

hampshireandy
5th Feb 2008, 22:24
Can someone tell me when landing a 748 would it have been normal to use 22 degree flap and only use 27 degree in the case of a short runway or was it normal to use 27 always?, cheers, andy

midnight retired
5th Feb 2008, 23:05
We generally used 27 flap as it was very effective and reduced the landing distace thus enabling a turnoff at the first available and onto stand in the shortest time ,this was essential on night time skynet postal as a 5 minute delay would incur a financial cost and penalty points that
over time might lose the contract.
However when operating in strong crosswinds it was prudent to use flap 22 in order to maintain crisp lateral control through the landing phase with associated turbulance to effect a smooth touchdown.
The HS748 was a Pilots aeroplane , rugged yet easy to handle in all conditions and when you stood under those fully extended flaps on a walkaround it was a constant reminder of the Designers abilities all those years ago, all done with the aid of a simple manual sliderule - no camcad aids available in those days.

hampshireandy
6th Feb 2008, 07:52
many thanks for that info, i just wondered when landing with 27 degree flap how close was that to the stall speed? What is the stall figure for landing configuration with 27 flap?, thanks, andy

speedrestriction
6th Feb 2008, 08:43
Err.....depends on the weight?

hampshireandy
6th Feb 2008, 16:20
well, seeing as we are talking about stall speeds it would be at the slowest speed, i.e the minimum weight wouldnt it! So the stall speed for 27 flap at 30,000lb would be??

amber 1
6th Feb 2008, 19:29
Landing with 22 flap on the Budgie usually made for a smoother landing as "midnight retired" alluded to, but gave a slightly longer landing run due to the slightly higher Vref and lower drag. 27 flap was preferable if landing on a shortish runway or if you wanted to make an early turn-off without hammering the brakes.
We used to refer to 22 flap landings as "Artistic Impression" and 27 flap as "Technical Merit".

Unfortunately, can not remember typical speeds of the top of my head. It was a long time ago!

midnight retired
6th Feb 2008, 20:44
Using your quoted figures of Vat 81kts with 27 flap the stalling would have been dependant on landingweight which we don"t know, but as a guide the stalling speed at 14000kgs is 63 kts and increases 2kts per 1000kgs up to 19504kgs at 74kts.

hampshireandy
8th Feb 2008, 17:49
How much is 14,000 kg in pounds please!!??

Paul Wilson
8th Feb 2008, 18:04
You could use one of the many online unit converters.
You could google Kg to Lbs conversion
You could look on your bathroom scales
Or you could ask here:ugh:

Multiply kilos by 2.2, for an approximate weight in Lbs.

Approximation is plenty good enough when dealing with only 2 s.f., otherwise you get spurious accuracy