View Full Version : FIC before airline job

Fireboy
5th Feb 2008, 09:27
Is there any advantage in doing an FIC before joining an airline apart from hour building and gaining experience?

Fireboy

VNA Lotus
5th Feb 2008, 15:02
Fireboy look at my thread (just below yours) "for people who are FI/airline pilot" some nice people replied...

Fireboy
6th Feb 2008, 20:47
Thanks

Fireboy

Lembrado
6th Feb 2008, 21:44
Fire lad,

In answer to your question - no!

L.

tom775257
7th Feb 2008, 12:52
I enjoyed instructing, but honestly I think the sharpest I was ever flying wise even now was just after finishing my ME/IR... instructing in no way replicates the skills used as an airline pilot (i.e. mainly procedural/instrument).

If you want to be an airline pilot I would try to find a different way in, instructing isn't the correct way to go in my opinion. I know many PPL instructors who became airline pilots, I doubt it helped in getting the job beyond a few stories for the interview and a few contacts.

I remember doing a sim ride in a 737 after a year of instructing - I was so bad compared to doing my MCC/JOC on the 757 sims right after passing my IR!

Instructing was hard work, pay was rubbish. Airline flying is easy, the pay is great and the ladies love a guy in a uniform..... which one do you want??

While this post is kinda tongue in cheek, basically I'm speaking the truth..

VNA Lotus
7th Feb 2008, 17:50
Tom775257
" I remember doing a sim ride in a 737 after a year of instructing - I was so bad compared to doing my MCC/JOC on the 757 sims right after passing my IR!"

The problem we are not sure to find a job right after the IR in a shiny jet within the next 6 or 12 months... So I guess it is better to work as a FI or air taxi maybe than as a cashier.

tom775257
7th Feb 2008, 21:17
Yes you are of course correct. No argument from me there.

I think my point was that the various airline pathways (SSTR/CTC or direct etc) can be found straight after the fATPL. I think now I wouldn't recommend to anyone to train to be an airline pilot - the job is good, alas many people don't make it. At the airline I work for we kicked someone out the other day who had made it so far as fATPL/TR/Airline job. Lost it on the operator conversion course.

There is no correct answer IMHO.

Flap 80
8th Feb 2008, 13:06
"Lost it on the operator conversion course" Unfortunately this is an inditement of the agencies who take the money for a TR but fail to truthfully tell the candidate whether He/She is of the calibre the airlines are wanting.The possession of a TR should not be the Primary concern....the Interpersonal skills,"Team player" concept ,neither being too assertive or too timid is what an employer seeks.I speak as a twin jet TRE and also an SEP Instructor.

jessie05
8th Feb 2008, 19:45
Blimey Tom..

Did they really ask the person to leave after achieving all that? Didnt they try and assist and help said person.

Is that a quite common occurance and also what are the consequences of failing your TR . Will they try and help you through.

BTW ,whats the operator conversion course? Is this like when you self fund your TR and then you get hired by an airline and they dont like the way you have been trained so use this as an excuse to bin you?

Would be very interested in your comments , as I am soon to make a decision as to pay for Biz jet TR.... OR....FI course.

Both are relatively similar in price so tough decision.

jess