View Full Version : Canadian pilots to US under NAFTA?

blue_side_up
26th Jun 2000, 05:42
Hey what's this?

Is it true? Are we Canuck pilots to soon be allowed into the US without the heralded 'green card' due to pilot shortage in the US?
There was a thread on this a few days ago in 'Rumours and News', but I can't find it now. I am a Cdn pilot working abroad, and am rather interested in this new(?) rumour. If anyone can shed some light on it, many thanx.

KingAir
26th Jun 2000, 17:26
The same news has been posted on a Canadian pilot foum. It stated that as of July 3, any Canadian citizen with an ATPL can be expedited a green card provided that an American company has offered employment. Still need to verify things but as of a month ago, the change to NAFTA was undergoing final reading. Pretty good news for the industry.

[This message has been edited by KingAir (edited 26 June 2000).]

HighSpeedAluminum
26th Jun 2000, 20:55
KingAir could you direct me to the website you reference. I am very interested! Thanks

KingAir
27th Jun 2000, 14:51
Here you go HighSpeedAluminum: http://www.syz.com/avcanada/
Good luck!

egt
14th Jul 2000, 19:11
The question is, where could we find OFFICIAL info about this, and how would those 'good old boys' feel about a bunch of Canucks taking jobs away from 'God fearing Americans'?

Mile Hi
15th Jul 2000, 05:54
Eh, guys yes you can work in the US. get a Airline or Opperator to hire you on paper, go to the Immigration desk at the airport and they give you a TN-1 VISA. good for ever(MUST BE RENEWED BY YOUR EMPLOYER EVERY YEAR) no need for a green card anymore or to prove a able US citizen is not avaliable for the job.
This is true no BS you can go to the US immigration web sight for more info
Keep the BLUE SIDE up.

------------------

rookie
15th Jul 2000, 07:28
What do the regional places in the US look for as far as time? Anyone heard if they have a shortage of low timers for charter/regional outfits?

KingAir
20th Jul 2000, 15:03
Any web sites containing information on the topic? Been searching the web and no joy. Cheers.

Petergozinya
20th Jul 2000, 17:26
I'm afraid mile hi has been pulling your leg. He's got the process backwards. He said "get someone to hire you on paper", the problem is, no one will even talk to you unless you have proof of the ability to work in the US. Green card. Currently the only way to do it without marrying a U.S. citizen. The NAFTA rumor is just that, a rumor. No shred of evidence to support this rumor that just will not die.

Squawk 8888
20th Jul 2000, 21:03
NAFTA has long had a provision to allow for the free movement on "professional" employees under the following circumstances:

1. A job transfer within a company operating in both countries.

2. A written job offer and "proof of qualification", such as a degree.

American headhunters in the computer industry love it because there is no quota on the visas and they don't have to jump through hoops to convince the INS that they couldn't find a yank for the job.

Petergozinya
20th Jul 2000, 23:14
I was referring to the rumor to the effect of a revision/modification to NAFTA allowing/adding "pilot" to the approved "professionals" provision of the agreement.

The rumor just will not die.

Reverend
21st Jul 2000, 00:39
I have researched the whole NAFTA thing and the TN-1 VISA requirement is for citizens of Canada. Under the TN clause I believe the requirement is to have post-seconday education. If you look at the NAFTA "job demand" list, it shows that a post baccalaureate degree is mandatory.

Rumours about congress passing a bill is still heresay. Check out the US congress site and look at the motions passed each day or do a search and query anything to do with aviation for the past "X" years. You will find nothing.
http://lcweb.loc.gov/global/legislative/congress.html

Also you can actually logon to the USINS site and check for daily updates regarding visas and jobs.
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/index.htm

But the best site that I have found is called US VISA NEWS and it has updates about immigration status daily. I have yet to see something to do with aviation.
http://www.usvisanews.com/

Stories about guys getting visas are true. If a copany has put an ad in the paper for 60 days, and no one qualified has taken that postion, then that company can sponsor someone for a green card. I know many guys that left to go to a corporate job because a specific company went through the process and proved that no one was qualified and/or no one was interested so they ended up hring a Canadian. US majors, well there is no demand for pilots yet because they have about 15,000 resumes !!!

Check them out yourself. GOOD LUCK !!! :) :) :)

[This message has been edited by Reverend (edited 20 July 2000).]

Global_Express
31st Jul 2000, 15:52
Shame about the Visa

GM

[This message has been edited by Global_Express (edited 31 July 2000).]

Mile Hi
1st Aug 2000, 06:54
Reverend I see you got your sh*t together.Mabey petergozinya might oneday. If you guys and girls want a real job get off your --- and go knock on some doors. I did it and so did 3 others I know and yes we 100% Canadians worked in the USA. for others looking for work check out www.climbto350 (http://www.climbto350)

Petergozinya
1st Aug 2000, 19:47
Fact: Canadians can get green cards.

Fact: There is no revision to NAFTA allowing pilots into the U.S.

:) Whose poop is in one pile? ;)