PDA

View Full Version : New destination - any recommendations?

TotalBeginner
4th Feb 2008, 21:19
I need a new destination to visit, but with so many airfields to choose from, I'm finding it hard.

I'll be flying from Cambridge, and want a destination that's no more than 1hr flying time. Somewhere with a good cafe that has a nice view of the airfield and generally just a nice atmosphere.

Any ideas?

P.s. Not Wellesbourne (lovely airfield but it's time to visit somewhere different!)

StillStanding
5th Feb 2008, 03:16
I fly from Bourn nearby and have been through the same thinking. My top 5 (in no particular order) are:

Headcorn
White Waltham
Panshanger
Sywell
North Weald

HeliCraig
5th Feb 2008, 07:50
Sywell has my vote.

Took two friends their on Saturday (from Wellesbourne) for their first flying - we sat in The Aviator and had a great view of the field (albeit that we were late afternoon so had to depart again relatively quickly).

Or you can sit in The Pilots Mess which has a covered balcony with overlooks the fuel pumps / tower / field.

Generally a really friendly place!

BristolScout
5th Feb 2008, 08:49
Shoreham is very agreeable if you're prepared to navigate around the London control zones. At around 100nm it's just about an hour and worth it to sit in the caff of the wonderfully art deco terminal and watch a lot of flying activity.

matspart3
5th Feb 2008, 11:19
Gloucester........has exactly what you require, discount landing fee for fuel, food and facilities at The Aviator are very good.

Rod1
5th Feb 2008, 11:27
Tatenhill.

Rod1

Zulu Alpha
5th Feb 2008, 14:03
Try the tank museum at Weybourne on the North Norfolk coast. It has a strip, a museum and a restaurant. You can get a free ride to your aircraft in their Gama Goat 4WD vehicle if you don't want to walk for 5 mins.

http://www.muckleburgh.co.uk/home.htm

click on museum and there is a link a a page about the airfield at the bottom. Main strip is North south about half a mile long.

Its a nice trip with friendly people

DJ

modelman
5th Feb 2008, 19:54
Kemble
Blackbushe
East Kirkby (see their Lanc:))

MM

rjay259
5th Feb 2008, 21:23
how bout goodwood, just along the coast from shoreham and the cafe looks onto the airfield one side and race track other side.

FullyFlapped
5th Feb 2008, 23:14
No more than an hour ... in what ?

TotalBeginner
6th Feb 2008, 20:26
Thanks everyone, some really good suggestions here, certainly some places I hadn't thought of!

Does anyone have any experience of Old Buckenham? A friend has suggested this airfield.

I was also wondering what your opinions are on crossing the channel. Is it doable solo, or would it be advisable to take an instructor if it's not something you've done before? I'm aware that significant research into the extra pre-flight admin would be necessary. Does anyone have any links or info on flying in france? Just had a quick look at the half mil and confused already by the Lille "class E"?? :eek::eek: