PDA

View Full Version : PPL Training Midlands

RollNow!
4th Feb 2008, 16:10
Hi all :) Kind of new here but maybe someone can offer me an opinion....

Im looking to start my PPL asap (now ive gathered some funds) ive done quite a bit of research and have looked at:

TatenHill
Halfpenny Green
Wellsbourne
CVT

Just looking for 'horses mouth' opinions of what the training is like, a/c's, instructors, facilities at these places. If there is anyone who is or has trained at these places or anywhere around the midlands id be interested to read any info.

Thanks in advance !

RN

wet wet wet
4th Feb 2008, 16:49
First off - do a search on this Forum, this very topic has come up several times over the past couple of years with a lot of sound advice in the various responses which still stands.

I may be biased but my choice for my PPL was Coventry, it's a big airport environment with full ATC etc, and just busy enough to keep you on your toes. If you learn there then you'll be quite confident to go into any of the larger airports with your PPL. Plus 24 hour opening and ILS/radar mean that you can move seamlessly onto your Night Qualification / IMC if that's the way you choose to go later on. There are several training organisations at Coventry, check them out. My choice would be the Coventry Aeroplane Club (trading as the Coventry Flying School). Why? Well it's member owned and run (so it's not there to generate a profit for it's owners), has an active social side including a great bar (!) and you get to train on airways equipped Warriors which are only a couple of years old.

Go for it and good luck!

RollNow!
4th Feb 2008, 17:31
Thanks for the reply wet.

I know i should have done a forum search on that one.. my bad. Just wanted the most up to date stuff i could get :)

I havent looked at the school you suggested. It was Midland flight training i saw, if you know that one?

Ive had mixed responses from people i have spoken to at work about learning in an airport that size. To be honest i think your probably right when it comes to being in the thick of things (i.e commercial comms etc) & as for the night rating + others thats got to be a good thing.

Anyway ta muchley my friend :D

bigbloke
4th Feb 2008, 17:36
I'd go with what WWW said above. I am a student at Coventry Flying Club and find the instructors very good, the well equipped and fairly new aircraft very good and the club atmosphere and bar are good as well.

BlueRobin
4th Feb 2008, 18:19
"Midlands" is a big area. Where are you located? Do you have your own transport? Somewhere within say 30 minutes would be better especially when weather is a significant factor in flying lessons.

RollNow!
4th Feb 2008, 20:12
Big - sounds good to me. I just wanted somewhere with decent A/C's friendly faces and not too far away / over priced etc. A lot to ask for in todays world especially in a market this competetive. Thanks for the input.

Blue - West midlands about 15 miles out of B'ham. The only school which would be a real trek i think would be wellsbourne. As much as i like what people say about it it wouldnt be that economical on the petrol come to think of it.

Its just nice to get opinions from actual paying students. When its this pricey i would expect brutal honesty :) thats why i made the post. Time to get on the phone i think.

Thanks all much appreciated.

llanfairpg
4th Feb 2008, 20:22
Tatenhill is the only airfield with only one school on the airfield, pretty rare these days and they charge off the tachometer. If you plan to fly weekends at some of these airfields go and see how busy they are on a Sat or Sun, and factor in the costs of waiting for take off.

You can always join another club when you qualify but for my money a quiet airfield for learning to fly is best for learning and instruction.

RollNow!
4th Feb 2008, 20:29
I can see why people say its best in a quiet one and why its best to learn in the thick of everything else. its the deep end as opposed to a slightly deeper end :E

I think what ill have to do is go and have a poke around, like you say on a weeked. Im quite lucky in that respect though. I work shifts ( at BHX ) so i am able to do weekday flying which ive been told is often better and also sometimes cheaper since their less busy student wise.

llanfairpg
4th Feb 2008, 20:49
why its best to learn in the thick of everything else. its the deep end as opposed to a slightly deeper end :E

Always said from the ground!!! remember you have to fly solo, not them!!!!

RollNow!
4th Feb 2008, 21:03
Fair point :)

BlueRobin
5th Feb 2008, 16:15
Let's put it another way, what is your commute time to each of the four airfields you highlighted above? :)

RollNow!
5th Feb 2008, 18:56
Blue - About 30(ish) mins for all maybe a little less for Tatenhill and a bit more for Wellsbourne. Its not ALL about the traveling obviously i would want the best school for the sake of a fiver in the tank. :)

llanfairpg
5th Feb 2008, 19:05
Have a lesson at more than one school and try different aircraft. Don't get tied into big membership payments, find out first

aerobat 1971
5th Feb 2008, 19:11
I'm biased, but take a look at Almat Flying Club at Coventry airport. I trained there myself, and still fly with them. There's a great team of instructors and a good ground school facility if you need it. Importantly, the costs are significantly lower than many similar schools if you're prepared to learn in a Cessna 152 instead of something larger. If you do want to learn on something bigger, you can choose between C172 and PA28, also at very competitive prices.

Cheers,

David

llanfairpg
5th Feb 2008, 19:23
Yes there about £13 per hour cheaper but you have to pay a £240 membership fee to get that rate. Tattenhill also charge on the Tachometer so your rate will be about the same over an hour without any airliners on the airfield!

Always ask how much the membership is

BlueRobin
5th Feb 2008, 19:44
Cool Roll, so not a big bind.

Adding to llanfair's advice, also check that landing fees at base are included wherever you go. This is not the case at Almat. In fact I think most/all clubs at Coventry charge extra for landing.

If you do visit Wellesbourne for a nose about or trial lesson, Wellesbourne Aviation should be at the top of your list (trust me ;) )

BR

llanfairpg
5th Feb 2008, 19:47
Take Flight at Wellesbourne are good too, the CFI is ex WA and well respected but they only do two days a week(trust me)

By the way Almats website says this about landings

ABOVE RATES DO NOT INCLUDE LANDING FEES WHICH ARE AT PRESENT,
£4.30 each for the CESSNA 150's
£5.70 each for the CESSNA 172's
£5.80 each for the CHEROKEES
£10.75 each for the PIPER SENECA
(P.S. All take offs are free!)

RollNow!
5th Feb 2008, 19:55
:Dexcellent loads of advice!

I did take a quick peak at Almat last night it does look good - i also did notice the membership fee. Its quite expensive but you do get a good rate as a full member there.

As for wellsbourne i think the trip to s.o.a might been a bit far its about 40 miles. Im torn between tatenhill / cvt but as suggested its probably worth going for a couple of flights in Cessnas at both n seeing which one i get on with most. I cant be too choosey with limited funds although ive never flown a Cessna. A Warrior and a trial flight in a Tomohawk is the limit of my light A/C experience.

Im genuinley chuffed fellas thanks for your help in this, sorts out a lot of confusion when you hear it from the horses mouth.

llanfairpg
5th Feb 2008, 20:02
Yes all you have to do now is hope you get an instructor as helpful as us--keep posting and good luck!

RollNow!
5th Feb 2008, 20:14
I most certainly hope so would be mighty impressed :cool:

madlandrover
6th Feb 2008, 16:18
Everyone will have their own bias. Personally, I've been very happy indeed with HGFC (at Wolverhampton International Business Spaceport etc) - friendly good instructors, relaxed atmosphere, very quiet field, and the ability to stay based there during CPL/IR if you decide to go that way later on. Ultimately, it's down to how you feel and how happy you are. Why not do a trial lesson or 2 at each place to see where you fit in best? It might cost a bit more initially, but worth it if it serves you well in the future.

Put1992
6th Feb 2008, 16:53
Im biased towards almat. They have very good prices, and in response to an earlier comment, who wouldn't want to be at an airfield with airliners? it's great being knocked about in a 737's wake :}

aerobat 1971
6th Feb 2008, 18:50
Sometimes those 737's can be a problem - normally when they're occupying the runway waiting for a release from Birmingham, while I'm flying round in circles somewhere mid-downwind. . .

Having said that, learning at a field with full ATC is, I think, the best way to go. That way you get used to the control, and don't get scared / worried on your first trip into such a field later on.

Cheers,

David

PS - Membership of Almat is £240 for full, Coventry Aeroplane Club charge £200, but their costs are then higher per hour.

bigbloke
6th Feb 2008, 19:27
If you are a student, Coventry Flying Club offer a discounted membership at £160.

The aircraft are also only a couple of years old with Garmin avionics.

wet wet wet
6th Feb 2008, 19:48
To avoid confusion I guess BigBloke is referring to Coventry Aeroplane Club when he mentions the "Coventry Flying Club". As I said earlier the Aeroplane Club operates its training side as Coventry Flying School.

In case you haven't found it their web site is www.covaero.com with details of membership and flying rates.

RollNow!
6th Feb 2008, 22:48
Having looked into Almat / CVT schools i have to say there looking like the people im going to go and see. Regardless of people bias's they do look good. Theres a lot of bonus' going in / out with full ATC and X amount of other commercial aviation going on... in the long run anyway.

Im looking at doing a few hours a month so we shall see how it goes will be starting up soon so i shall let you all know :)

Tiddles
7th Feb 2008, 10:35
Hi RN

Tatenhill (EGBM) has to be worth serious consideration, a good and competively priced fleet (no landing fees). An excellent hard runway (1000m+) in a nice rural setting.

http:www.tatenhill.com/

A friendly social club (£50 per year membership which gives discount on training/hire) with an active social side and regular fly-outs/events (students encouraged to go as pax to improve nav skills). Margaret is in the cafe Fri-Sun and offers good choice of food. Club house has room for flight planning (pc/printer, broadband, manuals etc).

http://www.esfc.org.uk

Might be biased as I fly out of there! :)

Rod1
7th Feb 2008, 11:12
Another benefit of Tatenhill is the cost of joining the club is only £50. Good instructors and you will get your PPL quicker as no big boys around to mess you about. Plenty of time to transition to international airports when you have the license.

Rod1

llanfairpg
7th Feb 2008, 11:43
Plenty of time to transition to international airports when you have the license.

I agree, keep it simple and cheap to start with!

BlueRobin
7th Feb 2008, 14:07
Take Flight at Wellesbourne are good too, the CFI is ex WA and well respected

Yes JRE had a big input on my PPL. Saw him this week doing a LST. :ok:

DX Wombat
7th Feb 2008, 15:54
There are three FTOs at Halfpenny Green: HGFC aka The Flight Centre which is where I did my PPL, they now have only Diesel PA28s (they got rid of the C152 :{ and the DA40 is STILL grounded waiting for its new engine to be fitted), The Flying School - which has a C152 and Halfpenny Green Flying School with PA28s (I think both diesel and Avgas) and C152s. There are three runways at EGBO, the shortest being 22/04 which is 635m and the longest 16/34 at 1162m which also has a brand new lighting system being installed (probably completed by now.) HGFC doesn't charge Landing Fess nor, to the best of my knowledge, do the others. It's a FISO service at EGBO.
I would also suggest Shobdon as probably being by far the cheapest around but you may think it's a bit far away from you. I make a round trip of almost 400miles to fly from there but then I DO own a caravan and Shobdon does have its own, neat, clean and tidy Caravan / Camping site. It also has a good cafe, clubhouse with bar which is open in the evenings (although you can sit in there during the day) and is located in Herefordshire's Cider country. :)

llanfairpg
7th Feb 2008, 22:09
DX is biased towards Shobdon, and so am I!!!!

Go take a look, its like stepping back in time but its a great flying area with great people and great cider!

DX Wombat
7th Feb 2008, 22:31
:ok: LL.
I forgot to add that Herefordshire Aero Club also has a static caravan which will be available to rent so, if you don't have one of your own, you could stay there for some time and be able to get in a good deal of flying. Being available on site will mean that if bad weather, or forecast poor weather, fails to materialise you would be able to take advantage of any lessons which may have been cancelled. Once you have your PPL you can join the syndicate (currently £18/month, + £65.80/hr for the C152) and benefit not only from the excellent rates, but also from the fact that as a syndicate member you would be eligible to do your IMC for just the cost of the normal, non-syndicate, PPL hire rate. Excellent value!

RollNow!
7th Feb 2008, 22:33
yeah a member of my family learned at Halfpenny green. Was way back in the mid 90's thought so havent heard anything about them for a long time. Person in question got happily into 250+ hours there though. Plus a few in the states.

As for shobdon a guy i know has been there and loves the place. Im half sold for trips there already based on the cider ... dispite not being able to drink any :} i dont touch a drop when driving let alone an A/C ... night stop ahoy! :E

llanfairpg
7th Feb 2008, 22:34
£65.80 an hour!!!! thats obscene!

Roll now(you must be ATC with that handle!) wrong!!!!

night stop ahoy!night STOPS ahoy, that cider is strong! remember you have to be able to get out of the caravan!

DX Wombat
7th Feb 2008, 22:39
It's brilliant for someone like myself who is trying to keep flying on a NHS pension. :ok: Non-syndicate rate for the C152 is £81.50/hr. The PA28 costs a bit more.

llanfairpg
7th Feb 2008, 22:51
By the way last time I was there it was £5.00 per hour

BigEndBob
8th Feb 2008, 06:33
Always ask what extras you might have to pay for.
I worked at AFT Coventry, the biggest problem there was students were charged something like a £5 landing on top of the hourly rate.
Don't know what arrangement the other clubs have.

And the constant coming and going of 737's was a nightmare, mainly due to the lack of a parallel taxyway.
Waited 40 mins one day to get airbourne with student and managed 2 landings in one 1 hour circuit detail on another occassion.
And only two allowed in circuit at one time so you have to be quick to get yourself booked in with ATC.

In the Midlands i think the choice is down to Wellesbourne or Halfpenny Green.

DX Wombat
8th Feb 2008, 08:39
No landing fees to pay at Shobdon unless you fly in in a non-club aircraft when club members are charged half price.
LL, I won't ask when that was, but it must have been a year or two before I joined. :} It would be great if that rate still applied but I'm still paying only about half of what I would elsewhere and it is enabling me to do my IMC which I couldn't otherwise afford. :ok:
Come and pay us a visit, there is always plenty going on. :)

llanfairpg
8th Feb 2008, 16:34
Look up, I often do on the way to Dublin!

llanfairpg
8th Feb 2008, 16:36
In the Midlands i think the choice is down to Wellesbourne or Halfpenny Green.Tattenhill is quieter than both of these airfields with only ONE flying school on the field

modelman
8th Feb 2008, 18:04
And the constant coming and going of 737's was a nightmare, mainly due to the lack of a parallel taxyway.

Thought TWY A was parallel to RWY.If operating from western apron,05 no problem for departure, B1 gets you a fair bit up for 23 and if the grass is ok as far as K. Never had too much problem getting to the hold but take your point about hanging about for the big stuff.

Still like flying from there though.:)

MM

RollNow!
8th Feb 2008, 22:28
Looks like it comes down to what kind of student you think you will be then. However without a site like this a student would just end up going somewhere, if they liked it continuing there and never knowing a difference until they were experienced enough to have worked it all out.

Can be confusing but i can see where everyones opinion comes from. Its settled for me i think. Trial at Tatenhill and also a CVT school. Two total contrasts X 2 hours in the book and then ill know :ok: best of both worlds i hope !

llanfairpg
9th Feb 2008, 17:29
Make sure you do Ex 1-3 at first school and then Ex 4 at next so you dont waste anytime/money

DX Wombat
9th Feb 2008, 18:16
We all forgot to mention Sleap! :{ Do come and visit Shobdon sometime - say on a Nav exercise. :ok:

Pa28Lucy
30th Apr 2012, 12:50
Take Flight Aviation at Wellesbourne is worth a visit..... I recently joined their club as its relatively cheap for licence holders particularly in the week. Monthly membership of £40 a month whether student or licence holder but I think its not bad considering you can come and go when you please without anyone else having to be there..... very friendly people and the social side is the best at any flying school I've ever been to before.... lots of variety. Flyouts, meals, lots of opportunities to meet new friends without the intensity you are welcomed with at many places nowadays!......

thing
30th Apr 2012, 14:18
As to the pros and cons of learning at a full and busy ATC field, you certainly get confident flying into large airfields but on the reverse side I always feel a bit nervous landing at an air to ground grass strip.They tend to have a higher percentage of clowns as well who have no qualms about cutting you up/'I've been here for years and this is how we do it here' types. I've been to a few Strips That Shall Remain Nameless where to be frank the standard of flying has been appalling, and I'm just a FNG.

Just in my experience before I'm shot down.

Good luck anyway and let us know how you get on!

mcgoo
30th Apr 2012, 14:37
I'm guessing he already has his licence by now as he asked over 4 years ago!

thing
30th Apr 2012, 16:09
Ah, good spot.

Pilot.Lyons
30th Apr 2012, 20:41
Tatenhill is brilliant.

As mentioned before... I wont go over the same stuff thats already been said but it really is a nice friendly place with well maintained planes (plenty of them) and a very long hard runway. They now have a second school which teaches cpl i believe.

Its quite so no long waits on the runways eating into your flying time. Also you will be taken to busy places and pass through birmingham etc to give you the experience needed.

Highly recommend them.