PDA

View Full Version : May-Day

Slick
4th Feb 2008, 09:54
After declaring a Mayday or Pan, do you need to continue to prefix your call sign with MAYDAY or PAN?

Best Rgds

savechip55
4th Feb 2008, 10:07
Hi, as a Mil ATCO, I can tell you that once one of our aircraft has declared an emergency there is no requirement to prefix the call sign by either the pilot or the ATCO.

The pilot and ATCO should prefix the call sign on the initial emergency call and on the last call before handover.

Not sure if this is standard for Civil ATCOs too? :)

anotherthing
4th Feb 2008, 10:36
Nope,

Ex-Mil, now civvy and the above is true for us too. When changing frequency, you should always precede your callsign with the word mayday or pan on your first call, but after that, don't bother.

Having flown in the mil and suffered a few emergencies myself, it's always comforting to hear the controller respond with "Mayday ABC123" as well on their first call to you... leaves you in no doubt that they are aware of your situation.

Slick
4th Feb 2008, 14:59
Thanks fellas

Fox3snapshot
5th Feb 2008, 06:37
That's assuming you have managed to get the words "mayday" or "Pan' out of the operator, with the PR machine an issue the words are very rarely spoken from a civvy perspective when they should be!

Whilst most international military operators I have worked for/controlled are typically good at letting you know what's going on....try and get those words from the US assets :ugh:

Its frustrating as you almost have to put the words into their mouths which ain't our job....:suspect:

Quokka
5th Feb 2008, 06:48
Love that one... especially the crew of a civilian airline who shut down an engine, requested a diversion and then requested Local Standby.

When asked the question "Are you declaring an emergency?" replied with "Negative, operations normal, request Local Standby".

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Feb 2008, 06:53
Fox3snapshot.... Know what you mean. Concorde crews were the world's best at keeping schtoom!