PDA

View Full Version : Gliding at Challock

KCDW
4th Feb 2008, 07:59
Thinking about it. Anyone with any views positive or negative?

Fournier Boy
4th Feb 2008, 17:01
Nice place, I did some gliding instructing out of there about 5 years ago. They were also kind enough to let me stay there one summer whilst I worked locally. Friendly atmosphere, good standard of training and great views of the country. However if you want to be a soaring pilot (although the ridge and thermals often work fine ITS IS NOT THE BEST OF SITES - it is ok, but it is not ideal). However if you are learning, or looking at an intensive course, its really good. Food isn't bad, but in my opinion, the bar needs to be better stocked. Oh, and its got good showers and the bunk rooms are comfortable. Nice curry house just down the road too.

In fact, not a bad place all together. Go for it.

PM me if you want more info

FB

2hotwot
4th Feb 2008, 19:36
Learned to glide there in 1971. It was good then......

Sedbergh
5th Feb 2008, 07:29
Nice bunch of guys at Challock.

Not the highest winch launches but at least there's a ridge at the end of the airfield.

I've never been there in the right weather conditions for it, but the low level ridge run to Rochester & back must be awesome

OpenCirrus619
5th Feb 2008, 08:28
Take a look at: Kent GLiding Club (http://www.kent-gliding-club.co.uk).

The comments below about it not being the best "soaring site" are a little unfair - I regularly get 4-5 hour flights. Where it does lose out to, for example, places like Shenington (http://www.shenington-gliding.co.uk/) is for cross country flying.

Where it wins out is the facilities and equipment.

Looking at your location and the types you fly I was wondering if you fly with the Tiger Club. Some of the check pilots there are also instructors at Challock - I'm sure they could answer all of your Qs.

OC619

KCDW
7th Feb 2008, 17:40
Thanks all,

I've got a trial flight booked on Saturday.

Yes, erstwhile member of the Tiger Club, but have stopped flying these last 6 months because, after 9 years, I just stopped yearning for it, and it's an expensive hobby to get into the cockpit just to keep current.

Recently, I've been looking to the skies again, envying aircraft overhead, but looking for a new challenge, so thought I would give this a go.

Sedbergh
8th Feb 2008, 07:23
Forecast looks good for the time of year - enjoy!

Don't forget the rudder pedals!

Let us know how it went.

OpenCirrus619
11th Feb 2008, 10:24
KCDW,

Check your PMs / email.

OC619

(Edited for spelling).

JBGA
11th Feb 2008, 10:58
I fly at a certain neighbouring gliding club and have visited Challock often over the years. They have a great clubhouse with bar and restaraunt, briefing rooms, bunkhouse etc.
I have experienced some stange goings-on there though like people being told off for opening the hangar doors and getting the kit out too early in the morning. The tug breaking down at the beginning of the season and not being fixed for a month. And a friend of mine went there for the day and took himself off cross country for a few hours and when he returned at 4pm everyone had packed up and gone home. I don't know any other club where the duty instructor/pilot would clear off leaving an aircraft unaccounted for.

Soaring conditions are fine, although regularly suffer from sea breezes on good thermic days. The ridge isn't the most spectacular in the world but it works. As said, cross country options are limited as you have a choice of going west, west or west and when you do that you hit the London TMA but all the clubs around London are like that. For training and local flying it's great.

In my opinion the Southdown GC at Parham (Storrington) is the nicest club in the SE - if you can live without the winch. (No, I am not a member there!)

cats_five
11th Feb 2008, 14:15
Thinking about it. Anyone with any views positive or negative?

About gliding in general or Challock in particular? Think the Challock question has been answered, as to gliding, hopefully you will have a ball and in a year or two have a Bronze C + XC endoresement (or even Silver C!) and be getting a share in a bit of plastic of your own.

KCDW
11th Feb 2008, 15:05
The question was about Challock.

I had my trial, and while there was no discernable lift, I enjoyed myself immensely, and will be signing up to a short course to get me to solo.

The guys (and gals) at Challock were interesting, characterful and helpful (the way I like it).

Thanks too to OpenCirrus619 for the long chat today on gliding in general. Very helpful.

SpannerInTheWerks
28th Dec 2021, 23:04
but the low level ridge run to Rochester & back must be awesome

Yes, I did a dual out and return with John Hoye in the T49 Capstan back in 1976.

As a low hour glider pilot it was a revelation to see John make the most of marginal conditions in a relatively low performance glider ...

ETOPS
29th Dec 2021, 14:17
Almost 13 years between posts - a new record? :D