PDA

View Full Version : Crossland Moor?

liam548
3rd Feb 2008, 07:15
Is it still around? Used to hear a few planes using it about 7 or 8 years ago. Just wondered if the airstrip is now full of houses or not?

Liam

dwshimoda
3rd Feb 2008, 08:10
Yes, or it was a few months ago. Also, if I remember rightly, I believe it's owned by Jamie Whitham, ex British Superbike rider, who also has his own PPL.

Once went to his birthday party held there many years ago when he was riding for the Suzuki team.

batninth
3rd Feb 2008, 10:25
I've seen a couple of microlights up for sale recently on afors that have been based at Crossland Moor, so I assume it is still active. When I looked at training, I couldn't find anything there (not to say there isn't, I just couldn't find it) so I'm guessing it's pretty much a club airfield now.

llanfairpg
3rd Feb 2008, 11:15
I seem to remember there is a strange situation there where there is a public right of way across the main runway so it could never be licenced. I have certainly seen people walking across it!

Islander2
3rd Feb 2008, 11:28
I seem to remember there is a strange situation there where there is a public right of way across the main runwayLike Sandown ... but that's licensed!

Sir George Cayley
3rd Feb 2008, 13:31
It's a fantastic destination with a challenging runway that is Britain's nearest thing to a French Altiport. Not only is it up in'thills, but the slope is tremendous.

Add to this the warm welcome any Yorkshireman gives to lesser mortals makes it a must visit airfield.

Do two things though.

Make sure the weather forecast is good. Not a place to get caught out. If you can't see Emily Moor Transmitter - it's raining. If you can see it - it is about to rain:ok:

Secondly, get there soon as it is being nibbled to death by the quarry that is slowly digging it up.

Eee by gum lad

Sir George Cayley

christimson
3rd Feb 2008, 14:06
I've just payed them a visit and can confirm it's still there. It looks a challenge indeed!

Jodelman
3rd Feb 2008, 16:45
Just to be pedantic, it's Crosland Moor - only one "s".

Never could spell these Yorkshire folk.

Them thar hills
3rd Feb 2008, 18:40
Jodelman
You missed "Emily" !
It's really Emley Moor, but you knew that.:}
How is 'GK ?

Pudnucker
3rd Feb 2008, 19:04
Great airfield. Don't aim for the numbers if coming in over the quarry in higher winds - I did and the downdraft into the quarry is very strong. I had a very heavy landing there - thank god for strong piper pa28 undercarriages...!

SFCC
3rd Feb 2008, 19:21
TTh beat me to it....I don't think a better armoured man has ever visited said airfield:}

DBisDogOne
4th Feb 2008, 11:50
It is probably still owned by James Whitham ex-BSB & GP rider now BBC commentator (which I think he's good at as he's an amusing chap and he was a spectacular rider in his day too), he's also a PPL. It's been in his family for some years and it was left to him and his siblings when his dad died according to a biog-type article in an old 'Loop' (about 2 years old-ish) I was clearing out the other day. Never been there though so have no idea what it's like.

PENNINE BOY
6th Feb 2008, 17:15
Airfield is still up and running! Hangars are full, and there is a fully loaded caravan with tea coffee and refreshments complete with honesty box!!!

The airfield is gradually being quarryied around but the plan is to land fill it all in at a later date. Great place to visit just be carefull, its a gem in the ever declining rip off landing and handling airfields...... Keep up the good work Jamie :D

Them thar hills
6th Feb 2008, 17:23
Now then old lad

It's NORTHERN !!!
If you live there at least you could spell it properly !

You're rumbled.....

:}