PDA

View Full Version : Where to fly at Kemble?

flyingwelshman
2nd Feb 2008, 20:23
Hi -

Recently moved to north Swindon (lucky me!).

Was going to fly with BCT at Kemble - but clearly they have gone up the spout.

Any other suggestions of a good club? I need to revalidate a CAA PPL, and then have a good club for some weekend summer flying?

thanks_FW

Sleeve Wing
2nd Feb 2008, 20:40
Ultimate High can revalidate your PPL and then you can progress to some really fun flying.

By the way, congratulations...........?!%$?.................... !!

Sleeve. :D :E

Windy Militant
2nd Feb 2008, 21:31
Hello Flyingwelshman,
It could be a lot worse you could have moved to West Swindon, "there be many ways in but there bain't be any out"!
Have you considered strip flying? Lots of farm strips round his neck of the woods. Why not pop along to the Wiltshire Flyers (http://www.wiltshireflyers.org.uk/) We meet third Tuesday of the Month at The Harrow Inn Wanborough. We have all sorts attending from Microlighters to Heavy Drivers so lots of local knowledge, even about flying ;)

18greens
2nd Feb 2008, 21:55
You are unlucky to be in Swindon but every cloud has a silver lining and Swindons silver lining is Kemble.

The Flying club has some Pa 28s.

UH have Bulldogs, Chipmunks, Extras, Decathlons for aeros and formation flying (straight and level is strictly forbidden)

There's helicopters and microlights and the icing on the cake is a share in a Hunter.

The free airspace goes up to 10,500'. Where else is better in the world?

Enjoy the west!!!

robturner
3rd Feb 2008, 14:01
Well I've been living in West Swindon for nearly 14 years and it ain't any different from most other places. Though we'd probably like to we can't all live out in the countryside in a jigsaw puzzle-style thatched roof cottage. Might do when I retire, but not yet. But I do shop at Sainsbury's rather than Asda, and I try not to interact too much with the Asda fraternity.

Anyway, I've been into aviation for about 37 years (I'm 42) and am seriously thinking about doing a PPL after toying with the idea for many years. My good friend from school got his PPL at 17, and I've always had a hankering to do it ever since then, when I used to go flying with him fairly regularly. He's now a captain with Monarch. I mentioned to him that this year I was seriously thinking of having a go, and he suggested either Kemble or Bristol. Kemble seems a reasonable distance to travel, so I was wondering what recommendations people might have for suitable flying schools for doing a PPL at Kemble.

It seems that they have two main PPL schools: Propstar and Kemble Flying Club. Any preferences?

Also, when's the best time to start? I was going to wait until about April, when it's warmed up a bit.

Rob

18greens
3rd Feb 2008, 16:38
Rob, Good for you wanting to learn to fly. Excellent decision.

Firstly you can start now, yesterday was fabulous, winter can have as many good days as summer.

Secondly pick a school you like and are going to continue to go to for the year it will take you to get the PPL (you need to like the people, aircraft etc as well as the price). This may mean driving past your nearest airfield and onto another. Think also about what you want to do with the PPL - touring, aeros, it may affect where you learn.

I just remembered , there are three schools at Kemble, The Flying CLub, Skysport and Ultimate High see them all before you choose.

Someone else will have to fill you in on Bristol.

Good luck whatever you do.

QTS
4th Feb 2008, 10:54
Don't forget Gloucester - it's only 30 miles straight down the A419/417 - 4 or 5 flying schools, 3 runways, and ideal for training.

Cricket23
4th Feb 2008, 15:35
Rob, I'd just like to second 18Greens comment about flying in winter. During the summer after a few warm days all the dust/pollen etc in the air rises and whilst the viz on the ground can be good, aloft it can be terrible. Where as, pick a nice clear day in the winter and boy, you can see 'forever'!

Have fun, you won't regret it.

C23

robturner
5th Feb 2008, 21:17
Thanks for the replies. I certainly have considered Staverton and have flown out of there a couple of times with friends. I'll drive over to Kemble to check out some of the schools, and probably visit Staverton as well.

I'm spending a fair bit of time with MS Flight Sim at the moment in preparation (yep, I know it can cause you to be too reliant on instruments, and I'll make sure I don't forget that).

Cheers,

Rob