PDA

View Full Version : L.A.R.S. coverage.

a4fly
2nd Feb 2008, 18:10
Maybe I'm not trying hard enough, but I can't find an up to date pictorial overview of complete U.K. coverage of L.A.R.S. anywhere on the web ( even N.A.T.S. site ). Any useful links please ?

Lurking123
2nd Feb 2008, 18:21
Try here (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/enr/26010603.PDF). UK AIP ENR 6-1-6-3.

You'll need an AIS account.

alexpc
3rd Feb 2008, 01:37
Excellent link there, thanks for that :D

I really should spend some of my PPRuNe hours reading the AIP!

a4fly
3rd Feb 2008, 06:23
lurking,

Many thanks for the link, I've joined !

realflash
3rd Jul 2011, 07:27
Now http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/pamslight/pdf/4e415453/EG/C/EN/Charts/ENR/EG_ENR_6_1_6_3_en

Gertrude the Wombat
3rd Jul 2011, 10:46
That's what I thought. So why did both London Information and Manston try to get me to talk to Farnborough when I was actually routing overhead Southend (from Dover)?

asyncio
3rd Jul 2011, 11:32
So why did both London Information and Manston try to get me to talk to Farnborough when I was actually routing overhead Southend (from Dover)?When did that happen? Southend was closed a while back during the move to their new tower, which might explain it.

englishal
3rd Jul 2011, 11:37
You can actually get a traffic service from anyone with a Radar, for example I have got TS from Doncaster who eventually handed me off to Waddington. Some are more helpful that others, for example Solent never give a TS, though may give traffic info on a Basic service if pertinent (i.e. you're about to hit someone). I suppose it is that they don't want to start or else they will be doing it forever.

Gertrude the Wombat
3rd Jul 2011, 12:57
When did that happen? Southend was closed a while back during the move to their new tower, which might explain it.
Last Sunday (week ago today). Southend were there and gave me a traffic service.

neilmurg
25th Oct 2011, 08:21
Try this http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-A3E65268044E3E2A027F7C5BD50D1A88/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/Charts/ENR/NON_AIRAC/EG_ENR_6_1_6_3_en_2010-11-18.pdf

ShyTorque
25th Oct 2011, 12:26
Worth noting the gap in the middle (which is a busy transit area), now often larger when Cottesmore is closed, such as at weekends.

JOE-FBS
25th Oct 2011, 15:59
A couple of times this summer when going Halton-Doncaster, I have made-up for the lack of an official LARS in that middle part of England by taking a chunk of the route as a transit of East Midlands class D from (roughly) Leicester to (roughly) Mansfield. You have to be able to get to a reasonable height (so either CAVOK or have an instrument qualification of some kind) but EMA ATC were always friendly and helpful. As indeed they were when on another occasion when I wanted a low level sightseeing transit over Nottingham just as the EMA primary radar failed. However, that's not relevant to your post.

GeeWhizz
26th Oct 2011, 03:05
Did a lengthy trip a few weeks ago from way up North to way down South. Northern services were as simple as usual, not busy either as it was a Sunday afternoon. Passing from Doncaster to Waddington was quick as expected, and being a Sunday it was also expected for Cottesmore Zone to be closed.

Happily mooching along vocally reciting something from an old Sting album, Waddington questioned who I'd like to talk to once nearing the edge of their radar cover (due to Cottesmore closure) and I replied saying that I'd prefer a handover to Brize Norton if the radar coverage overlapped. As it happens it doesn't. The helpful LARS controller then suggested that I freecall Stanstead/Luton or continue on Waddington's frequency under a Basic Service and announce when leaving the frequency in my own time; in case of no response I was to assume to be outside of comms coverage, squawk 7000, and change to whoever I saw fit. They also provided the RPS for immediately South and East of Waddington (i.e. Chatham/Cotswold) as well as reducing my service as I was soon to be approaching the radar limit. I changed to Brize Norton once abeam Leicester still with full response from the LARS.

Perhaps this sort of thing only happens when the airwaves are quiet and only really acceptable under VFR, but blimey what a lovely grown up way to negotiate large piece of big ol' blue!

My very small point here being that maybe this experience was a one off, but I now tend to think of the pictorial LARS coverage pages as guides, as there is obviously some scope to push the boundaries.

GeeWhizz
26th Oct 2011, 03:11
PS. There's a LARS coverage chart in the Pooley's Flight Guide too.

JOE-FBS
26th Oct 2011, 08:03
So you got coverage from Brize as far north as Leicester?

That's very useful to know. Particulalrly as Brize seems to be staffed more often now that it has the entire Royal Air Force fixed wing transport fleet (well except 32 squadron at Northolt) plus I notice (going wildly off-topic) various foreign airlines providing trooping services, more idiotic MoD procurement.

ShyTorque
26th Oct 2011, 11:13
Perhaps this sort of thing only happens when the airwaves are quiet and only really acceptable under VFR, but blimey what a lovely grown up way to negotiate large piece of big ol' blue!

My very small point here being that maybe this experience was a one off, but I now tend to think of the pictorial LARS coverage pages as guides, as there is obviously some scope to push the boundaries.

Waddington were being helpful, as they usually are. Essentially the controller provided the same basic service for you that London Information provide, but perhaps less tiresome on the ears. In my experience, London Info can be tiring to monitor, due to the large area covered and the large number of aircraft often on frequency.

Other "non-LARS" agencies can sometimes provide you with a service, at controller's discretion. I sometimes use Coventry, Brum or East Mids, but listen out for a while before calling to get an idea of controller workload.

thing
26th Oct 2011, 12:11
Another +1 for Waddo zone (and Donny Approach who are always more than helpful, never been refused anything I've asked for yet in terms of transits etc). Mind you, one of our club members is a Waddo zone controller, I always think it helps when the controllers are pilots as well. I was flying back in thick haze directly into sun the other day and couldn't see jack poo, zone kindly put the runway and approach lighting on at 'XW without any prompting from me (tower was shut). Can't fault that sort of service.

GeeWhizz
26th Oct 2011, 16:29
On the day I describe Brize could hear me, not entirely sure if they I was on their radar. For the service I wanted radar was unnecessary. Again, perhaps it was just a quiet period. In the same light, I've been at the same QSY point abeam Leicester (almost a personal comms trigger point strangely) and Cottesmore couldn't see me on radar... that day I did need a higher level service :confused:

Waddington were being helpful, as they usually are. Essentially the controller provided the same basic service for you that London Information provide, but perhaps less tiresome on the ears. In my experience, London Info can be tiring to monitor, due to the large area covered and the large number of aircraft often on frequency.

Absolutely. London Info can quickly become very busy. I've only really used them during a club fly-out to activate flight plans and the like. It was a useful tool for keeping in touch with the rest of our group too.

I'll be honest. Usually if coverage runs out with a gap between LARS units I tend to keep the lookout at max and not talk to anyone for x minutes :p

Of course when flying VFR the lookout is always at max isn't it?

Talkdownman
26th Oct 2011, 16:35
listen out for a while before calling to get an idea of controller workload
Does listening out really give you 'an idea of controller workload'? What about the controller workload that one cannot listen to (landlines, direct voice comms, coordination, setting-up checks, taking landing fees, making tea etc)...

ShyTorque
26th Oct 2011, 22:20
Does listening out really give you 'an idea of controller workload'? What about the controller workload that one cannot listen to (landlines, direct voice comms, coordination, setting-up checks, taking landing fees, making tea etc)...

I'm not psychic but listening out first is good airmanship. A perfectly quiet frequency gives an idea of controller low workload in the same way that "chock-a-block" radio chat gives some idea of high workload. If I hear three or four inbounds I'll often keep quiet or go to another agency.

Tell me your frequency and next time I'm passing I'll just butt in, without listening out first, if you'd prefer. :rolleyes:

Talkdownman
27th Oct 2011, 07:31
121 decimal 5

paulthornton
27th Oct 2011, 13:06
Tell me your frequency and next time I'm passing I'll just butt in, without listening out first, if you'd prefer.

121 decimal 5

Ah but we have the guard police already in place for butting in on 121.5 :}

ShyTorque
27th Oct 2011, 14:46
121 decimal 5

Very good, but no coconut. I don't talk on that one, although I do keep it on box 2. It seems to be reserved for scheduled airline co-pilots trying to call their ops, handling agents or Shanwick.

Oh yes, and the guard police in case anyone uses it for it's intended purpose. ;)