PDA

View Full Version : Jobs in Canada

Texan
1st Jan 2002, 08:25
Currently employed GA pilot with 2000hours (500 twin) thinking about moving to Canada.

Anybody know what the job prospects are there at the moment. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

the wizard of auz
1st Jan 2002, 08:55
One would think that the Canadian forum would be a better place to start than the ozzie/nz one.

Lerxt
2nd Jan 2002, 05:46
Mate, you are thinking of flying in a country that is about 3 years ahead of OZ in aviation.
They have one crappy major that has appalling service and can't make money with 85% of the market and a jam-em-in low cost carrier that flys to 3 destinations. (or so)

There are also thousands without work in North America....

gumbi
2nd Jan 2002, 05:54
Hi Lerxt!

I'm curious as to which company you are referring to when you mention a jam-em-in low-cost with 3 destinations or so...

I happen to work for AT, which I think has much better service than AC right now, and we fly to about 90 destinations...

ipanema
2nd Jan 2002, 08:17
If your "jam-em-in low-cost with 3 destinations or so..." is WestJet, you should know they now service 21 destinations (with more being added all the time) and are very close to being a coast-to-coast carrier.

Load factors have always been high, but they are getting higher due to - surprise - an increase in business traffic.

Most important (both pre- and post-September 11), they are one of the few airlines in North America making a profit...

Davaar
6th Jan 2002, 11:03
Hi Gumbi, I do not know which airline you mean by "AT", but if it is the one I think, I shall never fly it again. Some years ago I took it transatlantic. I am short and had an aisle seat, so I could stretch my little pins into the alley, at frequent hazard of amputation by trolleys and the like.

The lady next to me could not get her knees down behind the seat in front, so she sat all the way over in the lotus position, legs crossed on the seat beneath her.

Many of the taller men simply stood all the way over, in the galley or at the cross-walk. Happily we had no turbulence or there would have been bodies flying in all directions.

I do not make it a mission to spread word of this experience, but if the topic ever comes up I surely tell it. None of my extended family will ever fly by the airline, certainly not when I am buying the ticket. I meet others who have had similar experiences with that airline and whose resolve is the same as mine.

I wrote to complain but, as I had expected, received no reply.

[ 06 January 2002: Message edited by: Davaar ]</p>

ipanema
9th Jan 2002, 20:53
I'm 13,000+TT/ME, 7,000+Turbine, current Canadian ATPL and _still_ looking for work. This is not a place to find work - I'm now looking overseas for work.

shagger1
12th Jan 2002, 04:51
Sorry guy, but everyone has seemed to ignore you r original post about employment here in Canada. I am a pilot in North Western Ontario flying Air Ambulance and currently in Canada times are slow. I consider myself very lucky to have a job after 9/11. Optimism is returning to the industry as previuosly shut down airlines try to remuster and relaunch. as for the end of the market you are trying to get into...likely the air taxi/commuter level Hiring begins to start about now. However nobody knows how it is going to go. I may suggest you get a subscription to our national aviation magazine called"WINGS" they have a website at <a href="http://www.wingsmagazine.com" target="_blank">www.wingsmagazine.com</a> (it could be .ca...I'm not sure) in it you can see articles specific to the CDN industry and it is very informative....a virtual bible fro the CDN pilot.

I hope this helps and you find this post amongst all the prideful banter