PDA

View Full Version : Fying Schools in Winnipeg

treholer
4th Aug 2001, 02:44
I am coming up to do my MEIR in Winnipeg in a couple of weeks form Down Under. The schools I have investigated are.
Harvs Air Services
Interlake International Pilot Training
& Perimeter Aviation.

Any comments on any of these.

Also I fly 727's in the Military, do you think I will be able to get this added as a type rating to my licence when issued?

Thx

BobZyurUnkl
4th Aug 2001, 05:21
I did an IFR recurrent at Perimeter, Good school, the aircraft are maintained well and the instructors were good. I don't know about the others.
Unfourtunatly, i can't be of much help with your rating. Transport Canada has their own way of doing things.
Hope it helps
BOB
:p

exparrot
7th Aug 2001, 13:54
I attended Harvsair for my PPL (finished just 2 weeks ago) and would definetly recommend them...they are friendly, have good airplanes and they are cheap....Steinbach may be a littlebit boring (only one bar there for playing pool), but thats definetly good if you want to stay focused on the training....

all the best

exparrot

Fogducker-1
8th Aug 2001, 08:48
Hello down there in Oz!

First, Winnipeg is a very choice to do your training...generally excellent weather and except for the peak times of the day, a fairly low traffic volume to contend with.

It is my recommendation to go with Perimeter Aviation. First, they have multiple aircraft as opposed to some of the other operations which have only one available....the ramifications should be obvious.

Second, they have about 4 simulators and a well structured course syllabus.

Third, a Flight Test Examiner for IFR on staff.

Fourth, fair rates are chaged for their services.

Fifth, MEIFR is all they do and they are good at it.

The only drawback is their core staff are widely varied in experience and keeping an instructor there for 6 months is a high time fella.....this is a measure of the growth rate in the industry at the moment rather than a shoddy place to work or poorly maintained equipment.

Winnipeg is a fun place and Perimeter have a reduced rate at several of the local hotels.

With respect to the transfer of your B-727 type rating, best advice is to contact the folks at Transport Canada (slang name for Dept of Transport)...this can be a tricky thing to do, but far from impossible. I would suggest talking to Inspector Craig Kirby at 204-983-4341 to get the straight goods....well worth the few dollars to be properly prepared after travelling halfway around the world.

All the best to you and welcome to Canada....also, no I don't work for Perimeter, just used to flight test a lot of their students at one phase of my life.

Take my advice...don't try and duck the fog!

Fogducker-1
8th Aug 2001, 08:51
Treholer:

I just saw the B727 is flown in the military...therefore , you won't have a PPC as in ailine operations...this will throw a really screwball twist into the matter, so it is doubly important you look into this properly before showing up at the counter at Transport Canada wanting a type rating...just a word of warning.

TangoAir
9th Aug 2001, 02:28
Hi,

I am thinking of the Winnipeg Flying Club to make my Instrument Rating to convert ICAO ATPL to Canadian ATPL.

Any comments on that school ?
:D

treholer
9th Aug 2001, 02:48
Thanks Fogducker, appreciate your time

T

Fogducker-1
10th Aug 2001, 03:51
Treholer:

Glad to be of some assistance!

Fogducker-1
10th Aug 2001, 03:54
Tango Air:

The WFC is a fun sort of place, but again, I draw your attention to them only having one aircraft.....a Piper Seneca. St. Andrews is approximately 15 miles north of Winnipeg and unless you have some form of transportation, you may feel pretty isolated in their facility.

I have not had any contact with the club in some time, so cannot add anything else.

BBFN