PDA

View Full Version : Reading for ATC Applicants/Trainees

Kippers
1st Feb 2008, 11:36
Hi,
I found out this morning that I've passed part two of the NATS selection and have been invited back for part three. Aside from being really pleased to have made it this far, I realise I now need to get my head in some books and read up for the technical interview.

There seem to be quite a few titles out there from £20-50 so can anyone recommend a good title that will take me through level three (and hopefully to Bournemouth)

Also I think I need to practice mental arithmetic so are there any books of questions of the Speed, Distance, Heading, Altitude type that can get me up to speed, as I'm a bit sluggish on this type of thing at the moment.

BigBoeing
1st Feb 2008, 11:41
The legendary book by Graham Duke is usually staple diet for anyone applying. It's relatively up to date, easy to read and relevant, without going into to much detail. Its worth downloading the Manual of Air Traffic Services Mats part 1 from CAA website and having a flick through, but no more than that as tryin to understand random sections will probably just confuse you more. Good luck

smellysnelly2004
1st Feb 2008, 19:11
I'd recommend trying to arrange a visit to a local unit. Will look good on the motivation front plus you can see ATC working for real and get an idea for how it all works. Skim reading MATS could be a good idea but as BB says it can be a very dry and confusing document without someone explaining exactly what a lot of it means. If you do read it then probably just Section 1 would be the best idea.
Good luck:ok::ok:

Point Seven
1st Feb 2008, 20:53
Graham Duke is a top recommendation. Don't go anywhere near the MATS Part One - as long as you research what air traffic is about, that is what will stand you in best stead for your interviews.

And get to unit - best thing you can do:ok:

P7

Spamcan defender
1st Feb 2008, 21:56
Agree with the above. I would also add that you want to appear to be eager although not OTT. If you GENUINELY want to be an ATCO I think this will shine through. Loads of types of folks at my unit but I dont think i'd be wrong in saying that they LOVE the job and the moneys just a bonus (although a very welcome and large one :})

Wish you luck with pt 3 (its all changed since i went to Hurn!!). Hopefully when you get there I would also say that you should keep your head down, do as much studying as you can and basically eat, sleep and breath ATC during your time there...and, whatever you do DONT argue or get all hostile towards the instructors.....Had one on my course and heard of another on the course below me. Needless to say their career didnt progress especially far :ugh::ugh:

Again, good luck

Spamcan

Kippers
3rd Feb 2008, 21:47
Thanks for the tips everyone, I am acquainting myself with Mr Duke and the MATS documentation.

As for a unit visit, I haven't has any success so far as my phone calls or emails aren't getting any replies. It's easy to understand why with security being a bigger issue than ever, but if anyone is in a postion to help that would be great, because my interview is only a couple weeks away.

Tarq57
3rd Feb 2008, 22:09
As said above, don't get too into the MATS stuff. It can be confusing, without the appropriate guidance/context/instruction.
The plot meanders, the characters transitory, the suspense titillates, but is not adequate to maintain attention.
You'll get all the MATS you want, and then some, soon enough, all going well.

niknak
3rd Feb 2008, 23:28
and just in case you whipper snappers had forgotton, in the UK we have such things as LIBRARIES....

You don't have to waste good boozing money on buying books you can easily obtain and order from your local LIBRARY, I know it's an inovation, possibly even radical, but you can obtain these books for nowt.:ugh:

Kippers
3rd Feb 2008, 23:58
Yep, libraries, excellent idea. Unfortunatley it seems all these years of council tax payments have furnished Lambeth Libraries with an impressive range of graphic novels and romantic fiction :} and not much else...