PDA

View Full Version : Learning To Fly Floats

bluebat
15th Dec 2001, 14:01
I'm looking for the best place in Canada to learn the art of flying float planes. Any ideas??

Bob Hawke
15th Dec 2001, 14:32
Aaaaaahhh, let me think about this. In a float plane.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Chuck Ellsworth
15th Dec 2001, 19:30
bluebat::

e-mail me.

Cat Driver.............

JoeCo
15th Dec 2001, 20:57
Out in BC is probably the easiest because they have open water pretty much all year around. Once the ice is gone, with very minimal amount of effort you can find places all across Canada. Try and find a place out of the city though. There you'll really see what makes flying a float plane so interesting. As for the plane, one with floats would help!! ;) ;)

Just pulling your leg!!

pigboat
16th Dec 2001, 06:08
Try and find a standard 172 with a fixed pitch prop to train on. They tell me if you have no problems with that, you'll be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. :D

Squawk 8888
16th Dec 2001, 07:23
Cloud Air in Muskoka specialized in float training & rentals. You should be able to get contact info at Yellow Pages (http://www.yellow.ca).

rick1128
17th Dec 2001, 07:38
Since I am not too familar with Canandian operators I can't give any names, but I can give you a few suggestions. First of all what do you plan to do with rating? If your getting it just to get it, a 172 is a good choice. If you want to use it professionally, I would suggest you talk with several different operators and get their feed back. And by that I also mean charter (bush) operators. I would go with one who would also employ you after the rating.

In preperation, I suggest that you study the book by Jack Frye. It is one of the best books about how to fly floats.

And enjoy the rating, it is fun. And remember, there are float pilots who have gone swimming and those who are going to.

Richard