PDA

View Full Version : Cri Article In Aopa Mag

blagger
31st Jan 2008, 19:19
I am after a bit of advice if possible please. I am wondering about a few statements in the article on the CRI in the AOPA mag General Aviation this month (I am a current and active CRI with SEP and TMG ratings). The author says that a CRI can teach the AOPA Radio Nav course – is this true? Is there any specific requirements for the CRI licence holder, or just anyone with a CRI at all? I would also be grateful if anyone had a soft copy of the AOPA Radio Nav course syllabus at all as well, as I would be interested in teaching it at my current club.

The author also states that credit is giving for the airborne training on the CRI course (I know the teach & learning ground bit is credited) towards an FI course – I can’t find any reference towards this in LASORS etc..? Would be very interested if this was the case as just about to start my FI(R) this year!!

I also think he is a bit off with the revalidation requirements – I have always revalidated mine by satisfying the 10hrs in last 12 months instructional requirement, and have never done a flight test or seminar. Hope this is still the case until I get my FI(R)!

TheOddOne
1st Feb 2008, 06:51
The author also states that credit is giving for the airborne training on the CRI course (I know the teach & learning ground bit is credited) towards an FI course – I can’t find any reference towards this in LASORS etc..? Would be very interested if this was the case as just about to start my FI(R) this year!!

Hi blagger,

Well, I did the CRI course, then the FIC. The only credit I was allowed was the 25 hours teaching & learning bit. I even had to do the pre-course flight check, which annoyed us because I'd passed the CRI test (which was almost the same as the full FI test, actually) only 8 months beforehand. Apparently it might have counted if it had been within the 6 months, but I felt that the awfully nice chap down at Gatwick displayed a little inflexibility here. Did you get the CRI by doing the course or by grandfather PFA/LAA rights? In reality, I'm sure we spent more time doing groundschool than the time required anyway, filling in time waiting for the weather. I supose at least by doing the pre-course assessment flight, the full hours flying and groundschool the application was squeaky-clean with no come-backs later. Ho hum.

I never got as far as the renewal stage 'cos I decided to do the whole FI thing before I needed to but my interpretation is that you just need the 10 hours in the 12 months preceding.

Anyhow, good on you for going the 'whole hog' and the FIC.

Cheers,

TheOddOne

Whopity
1st Feb 2008, 13:12
The privileges of the JAA CRI rating are to train licence holders for the issue of a Class or Type rating. Therefore any flying training that could be classed as meeting that requirement including refreshing pilots who already hold the class or type could be included.

The AOPA course is an unofficial course and amounts to no more than teaching a pilot to use equipment fitted to that class of aeroplane therefore, you can teach it. You cannot count it as Instrument time as you would need to hold an IRI rating as well to do that.

JAR-FCL requires a pre-entry test for the FI course, it gives no credit to the holder of a CRI rating for anything other than 25 hours of teaching and learning.

BEagle
2nd Feb 2008, 11:05
A shame there's no 2-seat version of the Colomban MC15!

Then one could become a Cri-cri CRI!

I'll get my coat.......

outside_loop
2nd Feb 2008, 15:22
So, a FI can do everything a CRI can AND train ab initio students too?? (have never been sure what the CRI rating was...)

TheOddOne
2nd Feb 2008, 19:30
So, a FI can do everything a CRI can AND train ab initio students too??

I think actually there are a couple of loopholes that mean that a CRI can actually do MORE than a new FI(R), something around night flight. I need as a FI(R) to do additional work to be allowed to instruct at night; I don't think this applies to a CRI. I've still got both ratings on my licence; hopefully I'll have all the restrictions removed by the time renewal comes around and I can let the CRI lapse.

TheOddOne

Whopity
3rd Feb 2008, 12:45
No the CRI cannot teach night flying as that is a qualification that is added to a licence forming part of the licence qualification. The CRI cannot give ab-initio instruction.

The CRI if suitably qualified could do night refresher training with a pilot who holds a night qualification.

Just read the article, and there are a number of errors, the major one being the revalidation criteria. You only have to have completed 10 hours instruction in the 12 months preceding the expiry date, no tests or seminars. You don't need the "equivalent" of CPL knowledge either, just 300 hours with 30 hours on type or class.