PDA

View Full Version : JAR ATPL lecturer software

PicMas
31st Jan 2008, 19:18
Gents,

I am in the market for some presentation material.
I am currently working part-time as JAR ATPL lecturer in one subject, for this I am using a combination of MS Powerpoint and whiteboard, I have prepared my own powerpoint and use it with a set of notes I constructed to have a natural flow on the whiteboard.
I am expanding my "business" and have been asked to cover one or two more subjects.
My problem is that I am lazy and thinking about how long that last presentation took to prepare, I would much rather buy a finished product.

My question is:
Is there, on the free market, a set of presentations available to purchase?

Surely someone (with better PPT skills than myself) must have seen a potential income producing said presentations.

I am looking for instructor software NOT the Oxford CD roms which are basically the binders in an interactive format.

Regards,

Mike

BlueRobin
31st Jan 2008, 21:50
Do you have access to an electronic whiteboard? This can combine elements of chalk 'n' talk with presenting prepared material from PC via a video projector.

Whopity
7th Feb 2008, 13:08
To teach ATPL groundschool you must do it at an approved organisation. Surely they must have all the teaching material to gain the approval in the first place!

PicMas
7th Feb 2008, 15:01
And where does it say that an FTO must have the training material to hold an approval? Maybe you are confusing training material with lesson plans?

Thanks for the news about the necessity for the organisation to be approved. Obviously this requirement is fulfilled...

What was the real reason for your post?

Feel free to NOT posting if you have nothing to contribute.

I have in the meantime prepared a powerpoint presentation, I was merely looking to cut a corner...

Whopity
8th Feb 2008, 07:46
And where does it say that an FTO must have the training material to hold an approval?

My problem is that I am lazy...I would much rather buy a finished product.

In order to obtain an approval an FTO shall demonstrate that it is staffed and equipped to provide the training for which approval is sought.

Individual theoretical knowledge instructors are also required prior to appointment, to demonstrate their competence by giving a test lecture based on material they have developed for the subjects they are to teach.

Obviously you will be familiar with the references.

My point! You appear a little behind the drag curve for a professional ATPL instructor. Secondly, there is no commercial source of material as those who put the effort into producing it, are hardly likely to pass it on to some lazy sod who wants to cut corners. In any case it would need to match the FTO's lesson plans.

PicMas
8th Feb 2008, 09:01
Individual theoretical knowledge instructors are also required prior to appointment, to demonstrate their competence by giving a test lecture based on material they have developed for the subjects they are to teach.

Again you seem to miss the point.
There is a big difference between preparing 20min. of whiteboard presentation, to creating powerpoint or similar to cover a full subject.

Secondly, there is no commercial source of material

Au contraire, my disgruntled friend. I have seen it, I just do not know who publishes it.

are hardly likely to pass it on

I wasn't talking about having anything "passed on". I wrote in the initial post that I was in the market, that means looking at purchasing the material and required license for use.

You appear a little behind the drag curve for a professional ATPL instructor.

And you base this on what I have posted here? I would call that assuming and jumping to conclusions. I have stated that my powerpoint skills may not be up to the standards of those that might prepare and commercially offer this service?!? Is that not a part of professionalism to know ones shortcomings, investigate and use all available means? Being a professional ATPL lecturer and being an efficient powerpoint user hardly have too much in common.
But since you think you are in a position to judge me, allow me to judge your person.
You are angry at the world because you couldn't cut it as a pilot in the profession you desired, you are stuck with instructing and teaching groundschool to students half your age.
If, on the other hand, by professional ATPL lecturer you mean full-time employed you are quite correct, you just got the definition wrong. I am professional as I am receiving remuneration for my effort.
I am part-time/ freelance because I teach at several facilities but my main occupation is as flight officer on a high-performance jet.

Lazy... you bet, thats why I asked for the material, lazy doesn't mean that I don't know the subjects.

TheOddOne
8th Feb 2008, 15:36
Whopity,

I think you're being a bit hard on PicMas here. I'm also always on the lookout for material I can use that's better than what I produce meyelf and can enhance the quality of my teaching. On the FI course we had to write each exercise up, good part of our training but very time consuming.

When I started work at my present school I was delighted to find that they had a set of standardised A1 sized laminated sheets for all the exercises, optimised for the aircraft types we use. This not only saves time writing each exercise up on the whiteboard, but standardises the way we all teach each lesson. I can add/embellish with a marker as they're laminated. There's an added advantage; with the best will in the world, my writing on the board isn't the prettiest and these sheets are perfectly legible. It also looks very professional.

I'd never knock anyone looking for material to save re-inventing the wheel.

Cheers,
TheOddOne

Zone 2 Alt
14th Feb 2008, 08:10
Lesson Prep is time consuming and not the most enjoyable part of teaching. In my experience lessons work far better if you have constructed your own powerpoint, visual aids, handouts and questions,with reference to the the notes and lesson plans of the school you work for.
No two instructors would teach the same lesson the same way. When I teach I like to bring in pictures, video clips and anecdotes outside of the schools notes and lesson plans. This is what makes the difference between good instruction and students sat doing CBT.
There are moves afoot in the industry to replace Ground Instructors with CBT and we must strive to keep that extra quality of having a live human being in the classroom.
To do that Instructors must be continuously reviewing their material, replacing bits that didn"t work last time and trying new things.
JAR FCL1 reflects this need by limitimg you teaching to 23 hours per week, they appreciate the extra time needed for you to lesson prep.