PDA

View Full Version : Unpaid Flying Instructors

poss
31st Jan 2008, 15:57
Evening all,
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if those with a primary job/source of income, that instruct on the side ever considered working or in fact do work for absolutely nothing... whether the reason be for the pleasure they get from instructing or even just a way to hour build.

Cheers :ok:

dartagnan
31st Jan 2008, 16:41
we should cut the hands of people working for free, and cut the head to people who work to pay!!!

apruneuk
31st Jan 2008, 16:49
Splitters!

FlyingIsFun
31st Jan 2008, 17:02
I do know a few people with CPL/FI(A) who dont want to be paid.

I also know a few with PPL / FI(A) who cant be paid and are happy with that.

I also know a few flying school owners who charge the same for lessons whether the instructor is being paid or not.

neilki
31st Jan 2008, 17:50
and.. was your instructor being paid when he sent you solo for the first time...
"Oi.. where do you think you're going...."

basil faulty
31st Jan 2008, 18:29
I cannot be paid for a couple of reasons, so I let the school charge the going rate and put it into a flying instructors drink fund for special occasions, so the guys doing the work at the coal face are never under valued and we all get to have a good drink for nothing every now and again. I would like to point out that I only do about 50 Hours instructing a year, and I love it.
:)

shortstripper
31st Jan 2008, 19:07
Bloody good on you Basil! Way to go!

SS

Duchess_Driver
31st Jan 2008, 19:49
.....a year at, let's be conservative, £10 per hour. That's a bloody good drink in anyone's book.

poss
31st Jan 2008, 20:28
Good stuff Basil! :)

bogbeagle
1st Feb 2008, 13:59
Good man,D'Artagnan.

The colloquial term for people who sell out their compatriots, is Scabs.....a well-deserved name, though it won't be popular with the owners of some flying schools. Unsurprisingly, they rarely reveal their identities on the forum. Ashamed, I guess.

shortstripper
1st Feb 2008, 16:03
"Scabs" are usually hard working people who just want to work and do not care for the ways of unions.

Personally, as a farm manager, I could not, and would not strike ... If I did, who would look after the animals? I prefer to have power over my employer by being so damn good at what I do, that he needs me more than I need him ... I'd have the same attitude in any job.

SS

Mark 1
1st Feb 2008, 20:03
I give my time to a works weekend flying club where the members man the tower and clubhouse, do the fire and rescue, maintain the airfield and club aircraft and offer instruction; all as unpaid volunteers.

As a result the members are able to learn to fly and hire club aircraft at a cost that makes it possible for them, which wouldn't be the case at commercial rates.

poss
1st Feb 2008, 20:05
Kudos Mark, I think thats great. :ok:

shortstripper
2nd Feb 2008, 06:17
The Cambridge Flying Group is a good case in point. They operate Tigermoths at very good rates because they all work for free, and have done for many years.

SS