View Full Version : Hello all

TrueNorth
19th Nov 1999, 16:22
Hello folks,

New to PPruNe and thought I'd introduce myself:

I'm a Canadian resident in the UK. I've got a UK PPL, and sat the Transport Canada Class 1 medical to make sure I could pursue this career.

I'm looking to go back to Canada to do the CPL-MEIR, but have no real point of reference. How did you guys do your training? Did you add endorsements individually, or go for one of these 'professional pilot programs'? Before I commit to a move back to Canada and a big loan, I'd like some information that comes from an independent source!

Appreciate any info at all

cheers

TrueNorth

Luftwaffle
20th Nov 1999, 00:42
I'm on my way through. I already have a university degree, and am still working full time outside of aviation. I did PPL then CPL, consecutively, but at the same school. Immediately started my instructor rating, but after three weeks of no flying because of weather I started my multi-IR. I will add float and whatever else I can afford and seem to need to get that first job.

It is fairly typical of people who go the instructing route to do instructor first, because then they can do ME and IR on the school's planes, at an employee discount.

People who head for the bush may get their first summer job with just CPL, then come back in the winter to get more ratings.

Remember that the IR has to be kept up with annual renewals and currency requirements.

I think the professional pilot schools are more appropriate for someone who wants a degree as well as flight training, and/or needs the discipline of a structured school program to keep moving through the system.

XSBank
20th Nov 1999, 11:31
If you are considering a CPL etc., investigate whether it may be easier to convert a JAR license to an ICAO(Canadian) license rather than the other way round. Currently there are lots more jobs available in Europe than in Canada and you may find it better to stay there and get trained there. You can always come back here and 'bush it' later if you really want to. Seems there are jobs over there for low-timers too. Just a thought.

BAT
20th Nov 1999, 23:19
I would stay away from the college programs if you are on a budget. No doubt you are considering moving to Canada because the training here is cheaper than in Europe. Warning! Expect an uphill battle was you have all those licences in hand. Finding that first break is not easy. If you think you will be going back to Europe once the training is complete then get your CPL and MIFR without delay. If you are planning to stay and find work, consider just getting a CPL and then an instructor rating, get some hours and then upgrade to the MIFR. Another option is to go the bush route: Get the CPL, and float (if you still have the cash a MIFR) jump in your car around spring time and get yourself a job working on the dock or ramp. Be prepared to work hard for little money and if you are lucky, then maybe they will let you fly. Good Luck!

lost again 2
21st Nov 1999, 04:41
Hello True North

I have worked as aflight instructor here in Canada for some time. The money is horrible. The hours are long, but at least you are going to get some hours behind you.
As far as the advice from fellow aviators is concerned, take it. It is going to be an uphill battle. If were in your shoes I wouldn't be sure if I wouldn't stay in Europe. The going here is very tough. Their are so many people with Lisences. But its your choice. One big advice from me, don't burn any bridges ever. No matter how insignificant it may look at the time!!!
If you are looking for some aviation links go to http://www.angelfire.com/pa3/professionalaviator/
Good luck.

TrueNorth
22nd Nov 1999, 22:50
Many thanks for all the replies.

I think, having read them, that the professional programs are perhaps not the way to go. The modular approach seems more flexible, and would allow me to work in between ratings if necessary. I have to admit that the thought of paying my dues servicing float planes in the bush is an extermely appealing one - but perhaps I am a bit of a naive romantic. In any case, I want to see what it's like - I can always come back to Europe with ME/IR and convert to JAR if necessary (although there seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding that process).

I hadn't realised things were so tough in Canada! I had assumed that there was a thriving market for pilots, partly because the ATAC seemed so keen to get new pilots qualified that they were willing to set up a credit facility with TD. As far as I know, there is no comparable arrangement in the U.K. I guess that isn't proof that there are more jobs than pilots, though.

Anyway, once again thanks for the replies. If anyone knows anyone who wants to hire a keen-as-mustard, no-time, CPL maybe with a float rating sometime towards the end of 2000, let me know!

cheers

TrueNorth

Phil Thompson
23rd Nov 1999, 12:01
Hello True North,

If you have a personal e mail address, please forward me your address and I will let you know some more details with regard to flight training in Canada !!

I am from the UK and in Jan 2000 going to embark on training for CPL / Multi IFR / Instructors in Canada, have been researching for the last six months !!

Feel free to contact me !

------------------
Phil Thompson