View Full Version : Guardian Newspaper Helicopter Article

windowseatplease
31st Jan 2008, 07:05
http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2249498,00.html

Sliding Doors
31st Jan 2008, 08:50
For once not a bad article :ok:

Shame journos still don't check facts before printing them though :ugh:

Fast aren't a Robinson dealership. Service centre (courtesy of what used to be Eastern Atlantics engineering expertise :ok:) according to Franks website. Also thought that they'd only bought 10 R44's for onward sale last year (before the annual Robinson price rises). Not a bad number to shift, but just shows you cannot trust everything (well much in this case :E) that an MD tells you :ugh::ugh::hmm:

Would also have been good if the journo had investigated a little further about Battersea heliport. Slot system yes, but initially very poorly managed :{, price increases :{ and what about the current total lack of flexibility regarding parking. Won't that make Londons only heliport a shining example through the summer months, especially on 'event' days :eek:

Oh but Von Esson does own some nice hotels :p

manfromuncle
31st Jan 2008, 08:53
And the Shirley Bassey 'crash' he mentioned was NOT a crash.

heli-mad
31st Jan 2008, 08:55
....very good, we need some good publicity after the news for the accident in Harrogate....:ok:

HeliCraig
31st Jan 2008, 09:28
Seems relatively well balanced to me; a few minor errors - but then the chap is a journo afterall.

Not sure how the stereo typical reader of The Guardian will react to that article though, not a single mention of carbon footprint (although there was a token mention of environment) I suppose...

... or perhaps I have a twisted image of the stereotypical Guardian reader?

(Oh and before we all start, I read it regularly too - but then again I also read The Mail!).

KNIEVEL77
31st Jan 2008, 10:15
I can't believe you've admitted to reading The Mail!!!!!:eek:

ambidextrous
31st Jan 2008, 10:57
Pardon me for being a pedant, but what is a "helcopter"? The 212 is certainly hellishly noisy but I always assumed that I was flying a helicopter? Don't Guardian journos emply proof readers?

with fraternal greetings,
ambi:ok:

r44raven
31st Jan 2008, 14:41
I read the "Daily Mail" the other week when it ran a story on the BA 777 crash - the writer seemed to imply the commanders decision to leave the handling pilot flying the plane while he hit the checklists was odd. Haven't bought it since.:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Whirlygig
31st Jan 2008, 16:25
Don't Guardian journos emply proof readers?
No. And the newspaper is famous (if not infamous) for having misprints and typos.

It's not called The Grauniad for nowt y'know!

Cheers

Whirls

ShyTorque
31st Jan 2008, 16:58
What are you emplying?

A bit of journalistic license with "helcopter aerdynamics", too. :)

docstone
31st Jan 2008, 19:15
The Daily Mail in its purple prose surrounding the 777 accident also explained to readers that Instrument Landing Systems were comprised "...of a laser shone into the sky...." Great stuff, scary that these people are the moderrn day equivalent of the thought police.