PDA

View Full Version : U.S. - Canada Open Skies at hand

Willie Everlearn
7th Dec 2001, 20:05
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/aircraft/spinjet.gif

Well. Well. Well.
It looks like Air Canada is finally being managed. Could it be that Robert Milton has seen the future. Talk about a switch for Air Canada management. Proving, yet again, it takes an American to run a Canadian company. Congratulations to Robert Milton for standing up to those idiots running the true north strong and free.

Open skies to U.S. carriers, Milton urges
By ROMA LUCIW
Globe and Mail Update

Air Canada — under pressure from Ottawa to increase competition within the country's struggling air industry — called for an open market between Canada and the United States Thursday.

The Montreal-based carrier's proposal would open the door for American airlines to operate in the Canadian market.

Air Canada's call for an "unrestricted single aviation market" with the United States comes two days after Transport Minister David Collenette said Ottawa might be forced to reregulate the Canadian air industry if other ways to cut Air Canada's market share can't be found.

But Robert Milton, president and chief executive officer, said Air Canada's solution was a win-win situation, and blasted the government's demand that Air Canada stop matching prices with Canadian discount carriers.

"Lets throw this baby open to the most competitive market in the world and lets just get on with it and stop whining," Mr. Milton said in a conference call with analysts.

On Tuesday, Mr. Collenette had proposed capping the number of seats that carriers can offer on domestic routes. The minister also suggested cabotage — throwing the skies open entirely to foreign competition as an alternative to reregulation.

"This is not any different than what has been said before," Mr. Collenette said outside of the House of Commons in Ottawa Thursday "There appears not to be an interest on the part of the United States for a bilateral deal on modified fifth freedoms or on cabotage." Mr. Collenette said it took five years to negotiate the Open Skies treaty, the agreement the U.S. currently has with Canada.

In a letter sent to Mr. Collenette and his counterpart at the U.S. Department of Transportation, Air Canada said reregulation — if it involved any expropriation of market share, routes or assets — is not acceptable.

The problem with Air Canada's proposal, Mr. Collenette said, is that American airlines would only be interested in serving the major routes and not smaller Canadian communites.

"I don't think American [Airlines Inc.] or Delta [Air Lines Inc.] is going to serve Chicoutimi or Moose Jaw or Prince George, B.C."

But Mr. Milton said he had spoken with several large U.S. airlines, which were receptive to the idea of open competition.

And because the U.S. airlines have such big hubs, the possibility of adding more Canadian cities to the U.S. networks — even smaller communities — is increased, he said.

"I think the appetite will be there among the U.S. carriers in many quarters."

Mr. Milton said the first step would be to allow U.S. carriers to fly between points in Canada as long as they touched down in between at a U.S. airport.

Air Canada would get the same rights to carry passengers between U.S. cities as long as they travelled through Air Canada's hub in Toronto, or another Canadian city.

(The 1995 open-skies agreement between Canada and the United States allows airlines to fly to cross-border destinations only.)

In the long term, Mr. Milton would like to see a single open unrestricted market.

"The notion of ad-hoc selective reregulation just is not on, expropriations is not on," Mr. Milton said, adding that "I would find it totally unacceptable that this not be pursued because Minister Collenette has suggested it."

Since the recent demise of Canada 3000, Air Canada has been left in the dominant position of controlling 80-per-cent share of the Canadian air travel market.

Air Canada opposes reregulation and prepared Thursday's private sector suggestions to address Ottawa's concerns about its dominant share of the Canadian market.

"Post-Sept. 11, the world has changed. We have been talking about it but it's been a question of people shoving it in our face. But we are open to it, we are open to it. We are open to competition with anybody anywhere in the world, so let's bring on the biggest competitors in the world, the guys from the U.S. because I am comfortable that we win in that outcome," Mr. Milton said.

PaperTiger
7th Dec 2001, 21:49
More smoke from Milton IMO, he knows the US carriers will never go for it.
By 'offering' Canadian domestic routes for open-skies competition he seeks to deflect monopolistic accusations against AC.
Who on earth would want to fly between two US points via Canada ? BOS-YYZ-the West perhaps, otherwise it makes no sense and he knows it.
Collenette seems unimpressed, first sensible thing he's said for years.

AIRLIFT
7th Dec 2001, 22:52
Now please sombody tell me what these people are smoking and who's selling it to them so they can dream up those ideas. I want as high as they are!!!!!!! :D :D

Willie Everlearn
8th Dec 2001, 01:15
I'm afraid that some of us who may want to fly aeroplanes in Canada for a living are in grave danger of losing what little possibilities we may have left.

I've been saying for ages now that those idiots in Ottawa are going to allow foreign carriers to operate in Canada. Especially in light of recent comments in the national press.

NOW, Milton is adding fuel to the fire. Which I can't say that I blame him. It's that, reregulation, or financial ruin. It would seem almost any choice beyond what Collenette proposes would seem sensible.

How can the Gov't want competition and isolate Air Canada? And why would that make sense?

It doesn't.

At what point in time does the Canadian pilot population say enough?

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT ALLOWING FOREIGN CARRIERS TO OPERATE WITHIN CANADA UNLESS WE RECEIVE THE SAME IN KIND.

But, that's just my opinion.

AIRLIFT
8th Dec 2001, 18:18
I agree with you completly Willie But I don't think airlines fom up here could survive the competion from the rest of the world even if we get a chance to go play on there turf. Our economy is just not strong enough. Our country would be left without an airlines of it's own. Let's face the facts all the other airlines out there are only intersted in the big centers (YYZ,YVR,YUL,YYC). Keeping bisness to companies within is not a bad thing. We need to provide employment to our people before we give work to the rest of the world. I think AC's attitude is a bit too agressive but at least they are employing canadians...

Willie Everlearn
8th Dec 2001, 20:40
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/Gif/SPericani2.gif

This is going to be a contentious issue, for sure. :eek:

There needs to be some protection for the pilots who operate aeroplanes here at home. Some sign of a positive future.

There also needs to be an answer to the competition aspect of the industry within Canada. Management at any of the 'presently in business' airlines need to be sensible and operate as though their life depended on it. As AIRLIFT points out, we don't have the population or traffic centres to justify the number of airlines Ottawa imagines.

As much as I dislike AC, the restrictions and restraints they are assigning Air Canada don't make an ounce of sense. AC should be allowed to compete.

Don't we live in a capitalist society where it's all about competition and free market influence?

Beddoes of WJ says that ACs matching of fares is unfair, predatory, and are using its size to run the competition out of business. Unbelievable!
:confused: null

Willie Everlearn
8th Dec 2001, 21:57
Just saw this in the Globe and Mail....

"The U.S. government yesterday welcomed Air Canada's proposal to increase competition between Canadian and U.S. carriers, saying the idea was intriguing, but required further study.
"We have long wished to move forward to an open skies agreement with Canada," said Bernard (Buck) Shinkman, a spokesman for the U.S. embassy in Ottawa, who explained he was relaying "guidance" from Washington on U.S. government reaction to the Air Canada proposal.
The American response appeared to contradict suggestions from Canada's Transport Minister David Collenette Thursday that the United States is cool to the idea of liberalizing air competition at the moment.
Mr. Collenette told reporters that as recently as two months ago the Americans showed little eagerness to consider increased competition with Canada. He said they are too "preoccupied" with other issues right now.
Yesterday, Anthony Polci, spokesman for Mr. Collenette, said Ottawa has not had much success to date in convincing Washington to sit down for new air industry liberalization talks -- but is always ready to deal if the Americans are.
"If the U.S. is willing to discuss this, we'd obviously be willing to discuss it as well."
Mr. Shinkman said the United States is "always ready to engage with Canada on ways to strengthen our aviation relationship."
He said Washington wants to hear from Ottawa exactly what it thinks about Air Canada's proposal.
But he said Mr. Milton's long-term goal of an unrestricted aviation market between Canada and the United States, also called cabotage, would require further analysis.
"Mr. Milton's proposal includes a cabotage element in addition to the traditional open skies provisions. Since cabotage is currently precluded under U.S. law, this raises a complex issue that will require careful study."
Officials at American Airlines Inc. and United Airlines Inc., the two largest U.S. carriers, have said they support the principle of liberalized air policy, but need time to study the specifics of Mr. Milton's proposal.
Yesterday, the Air Transport Association of Canada, which represents several Canadian airlines, said it supported Mr. Milton's proposal to extend "modified sixth-freedom rights" between the two countries.
This would allow U.S. carriers to fly between points in Canada through U.S. airports and give Air Canada the same rights to carry passengers between U.S. cities through a Canadian airport.
But Clive Beddoe, the chairman of Calgary-based WestJet Airlines Ltd., said yesterday that he is opposed to the proposal.
Mr. Beddoe said he doesn't think it would do anything to lessen Air Canada's grip on the domestic market.
He added that this would put Canadian carriers at a disadvantage because they pay much more for fuel than U.S. carriers."
This would suggest the future is near.