PDA

View Full Version : Highland Flying

mark sicknote
31st Jan 2008, 03:36
I'm keen to get flying around the Highlands and Islands of Scotland this Summer.

I live in Hong Kong and have a Philippine issued PPL. I suspect even attempting to convert it to UK PPL in a short timescale will be pointless.

Therefore I need somewhere to rent a reasonably priced instructor /cessna or the like. I also need some ideas / recommendations as to where to go and what to see.

Maybe someone has a spare seat and would be happy to split the cost of a few trips.

Thanks in advance,

Sicknote:ok:

pilotincommand
31st Jan 2008, 09:27
You can fly daytime VFR in the U.K. with any ICAO PPL. There is no need to convert it. You might need someone to work the radio though if you don't have a U.K. FRTOL or you could sit the test for one which is quite a simple and quick process.

There are plenty places to rent aircraft although most of them are members clubs in Scotland. You may need to become a member temporarily.

There are plenty of places to fly to but beware the very changeable weather. Plockton has a good reputation but is quite short, you can land on the beach at Barra and there are new strips on Colonsay and Coll. Wick has a huge runway as it was traditionally an Atlantic diversion field.

DB6
31st Jan 2008, 09:56
Rental, try Highland Aero Club at Inverness (Tomahawks, Warriors), Tayside Aviation at Dundee (Grob 115D2s, C152s, Warriors), possibly Cumbernauld and Perth (not sure of types). Also Glasgow and Prestwick but not sure of clubs, planes etc. Places: do a search as there are quite a few threads, with photos.

RudeNot2
31st Jan 2008, 13:10
Leading Edge at either Perth or Cumbernauld. Cessna 152s and a Piper Warrior and Archer. Plenty of folk around to split costs and instructors for checkout etc.

PM if visiting Perth to meet up..

modelman
31st Jan 2008, 16:18
Try the Moray Flying Club.Based on RAF Kinloss,very reasonable rates for 'accompanied' touring and some great scenery.:)

MM

jarvis123
31st Jan 2008, 16:59
Don't forget Leading Edge at Perth/Cumbernauld has a DA40 too!

Oldpilot55
31st Jan 2008, 17:21
Scottish Aero Club, Perth.

Fuel is not universally available, nor good weather.

Fuel at Perth, Oban, Cumbernauld, Wick, Dundee, Inverness and the big main airfields but not much anywhere else. Plan ahead, the natives are friendly.

mark sicknote
31st Jan 2008, 23:08
Thank you for your kind advice.

Rudenot2 will certainly PM if I'm in the area...cheers.

Best,

PH-UKU
1st Feb 2008, 03:36
Could also try something a little different :E

www.scotlandonfloats.com

mark sicknote
1st Feb 2008, 08:13
quality photo opportunity for tourism, whisky, fresh-air, adventure sports and such-like.

Did they say whisky!!!:ok:

Blink182
1st Feb 2008, 10:03
Another vote for doing something different...............

http://www.neils-seaplanes.com/

Multiple Touch and Go s without changing direction.......... easy when your runway is a 10 mile long loch !

radicalrabit
1st Feb 2008, 11:02
http://www.neils-seaplanes.com/ (http://www.neils-seaplanes.com/) now that could give the divers a nast shock. How do you spot a divers marker bouy ?

mark sicknote
3rd Feb 2008, 15:06
Pilotincommand,

thanks for the advice.

My license is indeed an ICAO. So I guess I need to convince a flight school of my airmanship, and sit the radio exam.

I have a Philippine ATO radio license which I assume is the equivalent of the radio certificate you mentioned.

You sound quite knowledgeable with regard to all things ratings wise. Maybe you could PM me with a good UK school to spend 10 hours (advanced PPL stuff). I love my flying in Philippines but feel I need some additional skills taught. Spins, slips etc.

Best,