PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problem

Roland Pulfrew
30th Jan 2008, 20:10
Ladies and Gents

My computer has started playing up again. For no apparent reason when I fire up Windows XP it hangs after the Windows start up page. :ugh:

I can load Windows in Safe Mode with no problems and I have tried the usual option of system restoring back in time. Unfortunately when the system reboots it just hangs at the same point.

Any suggestions?

poss
30th Jan 2008, 21:05
Try this - go back to safemode - start - run - msconfig - startup tab - disable all and restart.
If you have any thing like a printer etc plugged in take them out.

Keef
30th Jan 2008, 21:05
Yep.

Start in Safe Mode.

Click "Start" - "Run" and type MSCONFIG

Under "General", choose "Selective startup"

Under "Startup", untick everything.

See if it starts OK normally.

If no, report back here.

If yes, turn on some of the items there, and see if it still starts OK.
Repeat until you find the item that prevents it starting OK.

Remove/uninstall that item if you can. If in doubt, ask again in here, reporting the offending item.

Roland Pulfrew
30th Jan 2008, 21:41
poss/Keef

Yep.

Start in Safe Mode.

Click "Start" - "Run" and type MSCONFIG

Under "General", choose "Selective startup"

Under "Startup", untick everything.

See if it starts OK normally.

If no, report back here.

Tried all that and it still hangs just after the Windows screen (the one with the blue running line. Screen just goes blank and my HDD active light goes out.

Keef
30th Jan 2008, 22:20
Do you get to start it in Safe Mode?

If so, can you then do the MSCONFIG thing and restart it, with everything turned off?

Does it crash in that mode?

If Yes to all of those, start again in Safe Mode, do the MSCONFIG thing, go to the "General" tab, and untick all the boxes marked "Process..." and "Load..."

Then try again.

Otherwise, I suspect either a damaged Windows installation, or a virus.

Bushfiva
30th Jan 2008, 23:11
Have you tried leaving it for 20 minutes while booting? Have you disconnected anything recently? Don't be too quick to decide it's stopped booting.

hellsbrink
31st Jan 2008, 07:18
I would look at it being something in Windows being corrupted.

IIRC, you can boot with "step by step confirmation". When it asks "run <whatever>" say yes and you'll see what is causing the lockup as that will be the last thing it runs before it fails. Then repeat the process, execpt this time tell that <whatever> NOT to run and repeat process as necessary until the beastie boots up. Then you'll know what you have to look for that needs repairing.

Might need Windows repaired/reinstalled, however.

BOAC
31st Jan 2008, 07:58
It is not unknown for the boot process occasionally to appear to 'hang' with no HDD activity - I have always assumed something like a registry re-write is in progress, or some similar dark MS thing. As the advice above - how long have you left it 'hung'? Go make a cup of coffee, walk the dog etc etc - then you can re-install Windows:D

poss
31st Jan 2008, 16:06
If you tried what I advised and it still isn't working then that refers to windows being corrupt. Reinstall it.:uhoh:

Roland Pulfrew
1st Feb 2008, 09:29
Thanks for the comments so far. Unfortunately I am away from that computer for the next few days, so will try the later comments again on Sunday.

I had a nasty feeling that something had gone phut with Windows itself (just seems to be the way my life is going at the moment). My system only came with a recovery disk, anyone got any suggestions on cheap ways to reinstall windows if the recovery disk doesnt work?

hellsbrink
1st Feb 2008, 12:00
Borrow a windows cd from someone, boot from there and select "repair"

twiggs
2nd Feb 2008, 01:33
I had a similar problem recently in a laptop and when I reinstalled windows it then would hang during hardware installation.
Since I had recently replaced a LAN/modem card, I removed it for the reinstallation and had no problems from then. I then put the card back in.
Seemed to be a problem with the driver for the LAN/modem card.

I would suggest you remove all hardware including sound cards, modems etc to see if you get it to start before you try reinstalling.

BTW, if you do find you need to reinstall, check out this article which guides you through a repair install.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

airmuster
2nd Feb 2008, 02:04
Roland Pulfrew

Try using "System Restore" which is located on the Help and Support sector of the START pop up.

You can tell the computer to go back to a period where you know the computer booted up ok.

Works often for me when all else fails.
GOOD LUCK

poss
2nd Feb 2008, 08:22
Sys Restore has already been tried.
I think the only option is to format.

hellsbrink
2nd Feb 2008, 10:37
try "repair" first, you shouldn't lose your other data then

Keef
2nd Feb 2008, 13:19
There are several valid steps before "start again". The "safe mode" process of "one driver at a time till you find the failing one" has worked for me in the past.

The Repair option (not the one the CD points you at, but the one you have to dig for) also does a good job. We don't know yet how bad it is in this particular case.