PDA

View Full Version : "Cleared" vs. "Approved"

david_f
30th Jan 2008, 19:17
What is the diference between those two words?
When you should use each one of them?

2control
30th Jan 2008, 20:01
Imagine that u are on apron requesting start-up and clearance, the ground controller says: start-up approved (because u are on the apron which is not a controlled area) then u get the airway clearance: Cleared to XXXX via YYYYY1B departure...(cleared means that ATC is responsible for the safety in the air and on the manoeuvering area).:)

david_f
30th Jan 2008, 20:23
Thank you.
So in other words the diference is in responsibility?

timelapse
30th Jan 2008, 21:05
I believe it used to be "cleared for push and start" until someone died on the apron because the pilots didn't look out since they were, after all "clear"-ed for it. Legal battle then ensued. I've no reference for that - I think an instructor at the college of knowledge told me.

One thing I don't quite understand is I think in MATS1 somewhere it says that for example if an aircraft requests a turn for weather avoidance.. you "approve" it instead of "clearing" it though. Perhaps that's in case you go outside CAS? I'm not sure.

vespasia
30th Jan 2008, 22:53
In the UK, a "clearance" gives permission to proceed under specified conditions, e.g. an en-route clearance, a zone clearance or an approach clearance. The other time when "cleared" is used as a phrase is clear to land or clear for take-off, which I guess still comes under the definition above.

A turn for e.g. weather avoidance is not a "clearance" because a turn is never a "clearance", but either an instruction ( initiated by ATC ) or an approval ( in response to a pilots request ). In an airport environment "cleared" has been removed from all other instructions so that crews will not mistake any other instruction as a clearance to take-off or land. Hope this helps!

:ok:

:O

Oops, only answered part of your question I think! "Approved" would be used only in response to a request from a pilot when "Cleared" is not appropriate due to the above conditions. In the UK this doesn't necessarily indicate any difference in responsibility. If I approve something, I still have the same responsibility appropriate to the service I'm providing.

david_f
30th Jan 2008, 23:20
Thank you for your detailed reply.
:)