PDA

View Full Version : Newquay

Flypiripiri
30th Jan 2008, 13:36
Hi

Newquay recently advertised for ATCOs. Did many people apply? Anyone heard when interviews might be? Would be good to know what kind of shifts they are going to be working and if they are going to sponsor people through training or are there enough qualified people out there looking for work?

BEXIL160
30th Jan 2008, 18:34
Don't know the answer to the question, but I have another one for anyone "in the know":

Q. When do the RAF hand over full control to Newquay Civil Airport?

BEX

Bern Oulli
30th Jan 2008, 19:04
Oh, you mean St Mawgan. Joking aside I just had a peek at the "Newquay International Airport" web-site (http://www.newquaycornwallairport.com/). Of interest is the fact that the arrivals and departures board (3 & 1 respectively) gives the time like so:
21:05 LONDON GATWICK
WOW - On Time

Is "on time" such an unusual event then?

rogervisual
30th Jan 2008, 19:07
Plently of applicants from what i have heard . Latest rumour is that the handover might be put back till the autumn.:)

niknak
30th Jan 2008, 19:41
Only heard this second hand, but it was from a usually reliable ATCO source, that they've only employed 12 atcos to cover a 24 hour/365 day per year operation.
With funding being tighter than a something that's very tight, salaries were well be below the UK average and that most of those recruited were ex mil' who are already making use of their MOD pension to supplement the poor wage.
That said, I understand that efforts are being made to make the salary more attractive.

Raven30
31st Jan 2008, 11:33
Slightly wide of the mark - planned opening hours will be 0600 - 2200.

man friday
31st Jan 2008, 12:37
salaries up to £50k for atcos( subject to blah,blah,blah) not confirmed yet...according to application pack

niknak
31st Jan 2008, 13:33
The actual figures offered (initially) were for tower only £29K, up to £43K for tower/aps and the staffing plan was on the basis that the airport hours would be long term H24.
As I said, renegotiation is underway, but as the owners have had to completely re equip the airport, there's no spare cash for anything until a profit is made.

JanBoy
31st Jan 2008, 19:52
Niknak & Man Friday,
Did you actually see an application pack? There were no figures on salary nor any mention of 24 hr ops. Raven is spot on with his reply on opening hours based on current summer schedules. Controller hours are based on a 37 hr working week. Your usually reliable ATCO source may need to check his/her facts. The influx of ex mil controllers with pensions backing up poor wages is news to me but I will be happy to stand corrected. NQY salaries may be above or below the national average. Applicants will find out if they are interviewed and ultimately receive an offer of employment. I think competition may be more fierce than many expect.

man friday
1st Feb 2008, 06:12
Janboy, i can asure you the information was in my application pack, allong with proposed salaries for fire and engineering staff..........

although granted its inclusion on a seperate piece of photocopied A4 could have been an admin error!

Radarspod
1st Feb 2008, 18:33
shouldn't be so harsh on our west country cousins, the airport is installing their own Mode S SSR over the next couple of months, so they are well ahead of most airports in the country!

niknak
1st Feb 2008, 20:32
I didn't apply and I'm certainly not knocking the place, in fact I think it's great news that in such a relatively economically deprived area the airport's new owners should be willing to take on the project and ensure that it's properly equipped.

Re the salaries, it's little secret as to what they are even if they weren't in the application pack.
My source said that the GMATS was using the fact that very few experienced ATCOs would be prepared to up sticks and go to Newquay, to persuade the board that the salaries should be higher.

Good for him for making the effort.

Angrel
2nd Feb 2008, 15:35
i think janboy is correct and competion will be fierce. word on the street (or what i've heard!!) is that 40 requests for apps were made. of course, this doesnt mean that all those will apply.

PingDit
2nd Feb 2008, 16:42
Handover is scheduled for this July.

Lurking123
2nd Feb 2008, 18:18
My train to Euston is scheduled for 0651; I consistently see the 0702 to Birmingham before I get on board. :rolleyes:

Raven30
2nd Feb 2008, 18:53
Handover WAS scheduled for April 07!! :)

Lurking123
3rd Feb 2008, 09:46
I know of an RAF sqn ldr who was recently offered the SATCO job (by the RAF) until handover was complete. It didn't sound like a 4 month det!!

3rd Feb 2008, 11:30
The change from military to civil is a highly significant move in relation to method of operation. I suppose the London ACC [Swanwick] ops department will notify us sector guys&gals in good time....they're normally up to speed with these things. In the meantime does anyone know:
1. Will the operation be conventional tower/approach/radar?
2. Will it be limited to 40 miles/10,000feet?
3. Are you keeping the mil VHF assignments or are you using new assigned frequencies with DOC usage restricted to either 35 or 40 miles up to 10,000feet?
4. If I beg....any chance you can pre-note jet departures northbound joining at EXMOR before they take-off? Current practice leads to the London mil controller phoning us for a joining clearance when the aircraft is almost in the airway......and it's not their fault....they are awesomely efficient and work like one-arm-paperhangers....give us all a chance please. Same goes for jet departures joining at DAWLY. The sector you need is "6" Berry Head sector.

Number2
3rd Feb 2008, 15:14
Is 'Benny' Clyburn still knocking around in that part of the world?

Raven30
4th Feb 2008, 20:09
Number2
No.

Your request at no.4 really needs to be addressed somewhere other than here. There has just been a review of airways joining procedures for Mawgan departures so check to see whether anything has been published at your end. We used to prenote Dawly joiners directly with 6/9 until the airspace changes last year necessitated a handover to LJAO SW. Exmor joiners have never been prenoted by Mawgan to civil simply due to the flying time from Mawgan to Exmor.

chevvron
5th Feb 2008, 08:22
I hope the aerodrome authority are aware that even experienced mil ATCOs still need to hold a civil licence. Too many times I've heard of the employment of ex-mil types and the contract fails because of a lack of a civil licence.

Lurking123
5th Feb 2008, 10:21
Nobody could be that stupid.

chevvron
5th Feb 2008, 12:08
They have been in the past (when IAL 'lost' Kemble for instance)

Angrel
7th Feb 2008, 15:26
has anyone who applied heard anything yet?

JanBoy
8th Feb 2008, 17:11
SMG will gladly give Swanwick(Civ) a chance but the Cornish Air Force (CAF) are not allowed to control beyond 60 miles/FL195. EXMOR is 75 miles away which presents a small problem?! The old way of prenoting and getting an join for DAWLY or LND was great (and within 60 miles) until the secondary problem of the DFL and preferred joining levels (FL230 and above) were examined. CAF ATC are not allowed to control in TRA001, and therefore up until recently had to hand the aircraft to Swanwick(Mil), now Lon (Mil) for their joining clearance. Sector 6 (and 9) are fully aware of the issues from lots of discussion. CAF controllers don't get steamed up when they get their umpteenth call from the SHT or RYANAIR still well in CAS requesting further descent and a RAS!
The off-route/on-route status should resolve the problem for all hopefully.

El_Dee
9th Feb 2008, 20:11
ive applied, not heard anything though.........getting worried now!:uhoh:

Anyone got an interview date?

JanBoy
11th Feb 2008, 16:58
No news is good news!

TheFox
12th Feb 2008, 12:33
Wasn't there something in the pack that went along the line of, if you hadn't heard by the 14th it was a case of thanks but no thanks?

Angrel
12th Feb 2008, 15:49
it was the 15th, this friday. there either cutting it close or we are not wanted! :{

Raven30
12th Feb 2008, 16:49
Angrel,

Of course you're wanted - the question is - by whom!!

Good luck mate

JanBoy
12th Feb 2008, 21:48
Angrel,
Remember the reunion chat. Box clever mate, sit tight and see how things go. Best of luck and hope to see you in Kernow with the large beaked bird.

Angrel
13th Feb 2008, 13:03
well its not over until an extremely large female type sings! so fingers, toes, hair (!), legs, arms and eyes still crossed! and good luck to all! :ok:

man friday
13th Feb 2008, 20:41
invitation to interviews have been made today

rogervisual
28th Mar 2008, 10:14
Have the interviews been held yet? who is going or do we have to wait for the flight international adverts before the musical chairs start.:E

Sweet Potatos
8th Apr 2008, 09:16
So ... erm ... anyone heard? Who's tempted by sunny Cornwall?

PM me if you don't wanna shout about it :E
;)

Pie Man
8th Apr 2008, 17:32
Transfer to civilian control would appear to be delayed as military operations now set to continue until 1 Dec 08 (was originally 1 Aug 08).

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=42922

π

Lurking123
8th Apr 2008, 17:49
In other words, the Council aren't ready to take over.

orgASMic
8th Apr 2008, 18:20
Probably because they cannot afford to bring the airfield up to civil standards.

Lurking123
8th Apr 2008, 18:50
Shabby business plan then. Have the got friends in Argyl & Bute?

Raven30
8th Apr 2008, 20:21
..........military operations now set to continue until 1 Dec 08
Not quite true. Military Ops cease end of July '08. RAF remain in support of civil Ops until 1 Dec 08.

Sweet Potatos
9th Apr 2008, 13:15
I've heqard that the Civi ATCO's start in Sep and take over ops on the 1st dec as stated above.

Lots of new kit planned ... can the council afford it? :\

man friday
12th May 2008, 11:21
anyone even had their interview expenses paid yet? always the sign of a professional outfit!!!!!!!!