PDA

View Full Version : How long for the CAA to issue a night rating ?

PompeyPaul
30th Jan 2008, 12:46
Topic says it all. I sent off the paperwork today, wonder when I can expect the photocopied piece of paper through showing night rating so I can take my partner out for a night flight ?

stray10level
30th Jan 2008, 12:56
Just curious, but what paperwork did you send to the CAA? AFAIU there is no test and no Writen exams? This from a well known flying club:_

Night Rating

With just 5 more hours training you can be happily qualified to fly after the sun has set and into official night time (Definition: 1/2 hour after sunset). This is a UK rating only, but affords you the security of never having to worry about turning into pumpkin after dark (Cinderella).
What's involved?

The night rating is a 5 hour course minimum. In that time you are required to complete a minimum of 3 hours dual instruction, 5 solo take off and 5 solo landings, and at least 1 hour of dual navigation.
Are there any exams?

No written examinations, and no flying test.
Age limits

You will be required to be either working towards or holding a PPL, so a minimum age of 16 years applies to solo flying and 17 years to holding a PPL licence with night rating.
Medical requirements

Colour Blindness will preclude you from obtaining a night rating. Your medical certificate (Class i or Class ii) must have no restrictions on night flying imposed due to colour blindness.
Click here for Southend's local medical examiners (http://www.southendflyingclub.co.uk/medical_exam.htm)
Weather restrictions

Good visibility is important and no low cloud, essentially you will require VFR conditions to be able to fly at night under IFR.
How long will it take?

This necessarily is governed by aptitude, personal commitments, weather, and of course funds. Intensive courses are possible and occasionally people do complete in a couple of days, though a more leisurely pace is usual (typically 2-3 weeks) when moulded around your domestic schedule. Most people will complete within 5 hours however be prepared for it to take longer if weather or skill inhibits progress.
How much will it cost?

Course price and aircraft hire rates are available on request. It is important to bear in mind that 5 hours is a minimum requirement, extra hours will be charged pro-rata. All our prices include VAT where applicable. Discounts are available for students who are prepared to pay lump sum payments towards flying. Conditions apply.
Maintaining your licence privileges

Your rating will be valid so long as your licence and experience are current. To be able to carry passengers at night you will be required to have completed 3 take-offs and 3 landings as pilot in command, in the last 90 days, 1 take off and 1 landing must have been completed at night.

I thought it was just a log book sign off? Still they say you learn something new every day!

Fuji Abound
30th Jan 2008, 13:02
No

1. Application form - from CAA web site,
2. Fee,
3. Log book certified.

Same day issue if you go, otherwise around a week depending on work load.

PompeyPaul
30th Jan 2008, 13:03
The "test" is simply 5 take offs and 5 full stop landings. I found night flying suprisingly different, in a funny way it was like going back to being a beginner again.

You get your log book signed, then send off the log book, application form and £78 of your hard earned. In return you get a new piece of paper to put into your wallet :D

DBisDogOne
30th Jan 2008, 14:06
Mine came back in a bit over a week, that was over a year ago though.

BillieBob
30th Jan 2008, 14:54
I wonder which 'well known flying club' so misunderstands its business as to publish such rubbish? Sounds like a good place to avoid if you're in the Southend area!.

There is no such thing as a Night Rating and the JAA Night Qualification is most certainly not limited to the UK.

Contacttower
30th Jan 2008, 19:18
For the JAA PPL the CAA replace page 3 and a new one is inserted with the words 'The privileges of this licence may be exercised at night' added under section IX.

Usually takes the standard CAA ten working days.