View Full Version : skyservice

wrongway corrigan
5th Nov 1999, 08:52
does anyone know anything about skyservice?
who owns it, what are they like, what do they run?

Tricameleer
5th Nov 1999, 09:58
I can only help you with what they run, being the A-320 & A-330.

TonkaSkippy
5th Nov 1999, 22:51
they have 2 sides, the A320- A330 setup out of YYZ and charters with Lears & J31 out of YUL as well, yet never the two shall join

Scud Runner
25th Feb 2000, 04:40
Hey Skippy:

I don't know if you work for Sky, but I do and I can tell you there is a move afoot (albeit, a bit of a slow move) to open the door for the Lifeguard / corporate pilots to move on to the 'Bus if they wish to. One guy did his course late last year (off the J31 in YUL), another part timer off the LR35 is on course now and there may be more in the near future.

Some of us on the airline side really want this to continue. It only makes sense to bring folks along who are a "known quantity" from within. The 'Bus is a bit of a leap, but we have an excellent training program which makes a huge difference.

Cheers,

Scud

lost again 2
21st Apr 2000, 19:29
I have just been called by Skyservice for an interview. Since I think that it is a very good company to work with, I would hate to go to the selection process unprepared.
Could anybody please supply me with information in regard to their selection process and interview procedures.

Thanks.

May all your landings be greasers.

Gutsy
21st Apr 2000, 22:26
To Scud, can you please email me your email address so I can converse with you regarding the hiring practices, working conditions, comutting??, etc

holdingpattern
23rd Apr 2000, 00:17
I have just gotten an interview with Sky Service. Does anyone have info on the work conditions, commuting ability, hire info???

Dipity
1st Jun 2000, 06:13
There is a huge, and I mean huge, expansion planned for SSV, this summer, with a lauch in the fall.

Rollingthunder
1st Jun 2000, 06:36
Is that the all-business class type service?
What are the specifics?

Dipity
1st Jun 2000, 17:25
Hi Rollingthunder
I was at the information meeting at SSV yesterday for this new airline. It will be a combo of scheduled business type service trans continental, and the charter side will also remain.(charter flights operated for Sunquest and Alba tours) Have a look at the Globe and Mail website there is a good article there outlining the plan. Looks like they will be part of the one world alliance and pick up on the feed of pax that come into Canada that CAIL was previously doing.

Rollingthunder
2nd Jun 2000, 03:45
Well, best of luck.
Not much in the way of detail in the initial reports I've seen, but I play cards close to my chest as well.
I have some trouble with Mr.Payson's math. Room for 1.25 business airlines and he wants to be the quarter of an airline? Also, I'm sure you know Canada's route systems are primarily linear and covering YVR,YYC,YEG,YWG,YYZ,YUL,YOW,YHZ,and LAX on sked service with 5 aircraft will be quite a trick with any kind of frequency. Business travellers like frequency - No. 1.They also like on-time departures and arrivals, non-stop direct and if an aircraft goes mechanical - a replacement flt or a/c (and not 10 or 24 hours later). China and meals are nice but down on the list.
There is some skepticism among analysts and industry watchers. Some quotes...
"I think it's dead on arrival"
"Whether they'll be able to get the people out, and to do it often enough to become profitable, remains to be seen". Well, what do they know?

A Flygirl
2nd Jun 2000, 19:27
Any truth to the rumour that SSV is considering a merger with C3000 to provide a stronger carrier/fleet as a oneworld partner?

m&v
3rd Jun 2000, 00:55
no chance of C3 connection,due thier own world domuination plans .via their application for the 6"scheduled"routes Europe and Pacific.Once off the ground Sky'plan to operate 18aircraft in two years(presently fly 4 a/c),about 210 pilots

Dipity
3rd Jun 2000, 04:39
I am as skeptical as you are Rollingthunder. Being an employee, of course I hope it works. If they are allied with 'one world' I can see it going as there is a definite void there since the demise of CDN. If they have an agreement to pick up the feeds as they come in, then yes, I can see it working. They did not come right out and say that they were allied with one world so I am skeptical.
Richard Branson keeps popping into my mind, and they keep referring to him. We all know how the lawsuits turned out between him and BA. Who knows?! We shall see.
Flygirl, I don't think there is anything going on between C3 and SSV, haven't heard any rumours to that effect anyway. Great to hear from you.

Dipity
3rd Jun 2000, 04:50
M&V
We only have 60 pilots currently.

Dipity
3rd Jun 2000, 04:55
RollingThunder
The plan is to have 18 a/c and 50 flights per day by year 3. We all wait with baited breath. Could be the beginning of the end.

egt
3rd Jun 2000, 19:26
So for those of us who currently fly Lears would it be a good move to try for the Air Ambulance side of things or simply push for a spot on the bus?
Would love to get in on the ground floor but would rather not make a lateral move to the lears.
Also, I can't seem to get through to Mitch, any tips?

Thanx in advance!

Dipity
4th Jun 2000, 06:16
Mitch is probably up to his you know what right now, keep trying.