PDA

View Full Version : AC Hold Pool, Whats up?

tail dragger
12th Jul 2001, 14:52
Issued a letter from AC saying that your in a "pool" of suitable applicants awaiting the schedualing of a medical. Have any of you out there heard any news yet?
It's been 6 mo now and nothing.
I guess the economic slowdown has given the Co. a bit of a rethink as to the overall requirements eh!

27driver
12th Jul 2001, 19:49
Tail Dragger,

AC is now in a position with an abundance of pilots which they don't know what to do with. The acquisition of Canadi>n Airlines now is just over a year old, and recently purchasing majority shares of Skyservice. They have a lot of pilots (especially in the regional fleet) who aren't doing much flying. You could say the economy is slowing down, but when you mix these two factors together, they aren't exactly in a position to be hiring. As well, AC last week mentioned they want to cut $1 billion in expenditures over the next year. Cross your fingers and hope they don't start laying off again! :mad:
Good luck...

tail dragger
13th Jul 2001, 15:21
Thanks for that,
I guess the 100 or so pilots in their holding pool are to provide a comfort zone for the company if and when they ramp up the hiring again.
Could also be possible that if the co. want to save a billion dollars that we may all see changes in the work sched next year.
Tough times ahead perhaps? :confused:

m&v
13th Jul 2001, 20:36
Latest rumours,Uncle Milty wants to reduce o'head,cutting staff.One pilot wrote in to say he asked for LOA,not approved!
Talk of a 20pilot course in Sept,addittional 10 pilot in Oct/Nov. :eek: [/LIST]

tail dragger
14th Jul 2001, 18:41
Hello again M&V
I've heard rumors that there may be "layoffs". God forbid,
If that is indeed the case I find it difficult to understand that if a pilot has asked for a LOA then why was he/she not granted it?
As to possible course dates in the near future then I would hope that those of us in the "pool" would find out soon.
Lets hope the economy turns around eh! :)

penguin
15th Jul 2001, 00:54
Don't draw any conclusions yet. ACPA and AC still talking about LCC right now. Let's wait and see how it goes.

m&v
19th Jul 2001, 01:26
Lots o'talk re'Layoffs,this only applies to 'other'staff.Talks still ongoing with SSV re LoCostco.Believe there's still an option for ACPA to 'do' the LCC????
Some foretunetellers in the states 'forecast' an improvement economically for the 'new year(this morn US stipulated no recovery as yet),ergo the US carriers are 'tooling'up for expansion(no layoff's United despite Losses).ACPA advocating Mr Milton consider expansion soon!! :rolleyes:

Azure
21st Jul 2001, 10:49
Looks like LCC (Low cost carrier) is a go, ACPA gave in, 20 airplanes, AC will be hiring, but don't expect the same wages and benefits as your brothers-sisters at AC. At least, not until the next contract talks....if you know what I mean.

Good Luck to all!

Rollingthunder
22nd Jul 2001, 18:26
It's an opportunity. It can lead to other things.

tail dragger
23rd Jul 2001, 01:47
Interesting!
Anyone out there who did the last round of interviews may have been asked the direct question," Would you be interested in a low cost operation position if one was to come up?"
Comments from those in the "know" would be great. ;)