PDA

View Full Version : Commercial License coming up for expiry

paulgee
28th Jan 2008, 21:54
Hello,

I have a British Commercial Pilot License (Aeroplanes), pre-JAR which expires November 2008. I have subsequently emigrated to Canada and fly on my Canadian licenses (non commercially).

Does anybody know what I have to do to renew my British CPL? I'm assuming that I have to do a flight test, and probably go back to Britain for this. Where can I renew this? Do I need a class 1 or class anything medical to do the test, if I have no plans to immediately use it?

Any recommendations on the best way to proceed would be thankfully received. I'm coming back to Britain for a month in March, so would like to have this arranged.

Thank you for your help and recommendations.

Paul Gee

A Very Civil Pilot
29th Jan 2008, 18:20
Have a look in LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=90&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1591).

Point to remember, if you have a UK CAA professional licence, your IMC rating is included in the licence, and remains in perpetuiy. If you replace it with a JAR licence, the IMC is a national rating that will need to be renewed.

paulgee
29th Jan 2008, 22:44
Thank you for your reply, which does also raise a question. I assume that as my CPL(A) expires that I MUST replace it with a JAA license although your response almost suggests that this is an option.

All I want to do is to retain my commercial license in case I ever wish to use it in the future, and certainly retaining the IMC would be useful even though I have an Instrument Rating. Is it possible to renew a pre-JAR CPL without it becoming a JAR CPL?

Thank you

Paul

rightbank
3rd Feb 2008, 13:29
As far as I am aware, there is nothing to stop you holding both JAR and UK licenses at the same time. The financial advantage is that the additional cost of a UK license is less than 5 years worth of IMC renewals.

paulgee
15th Feb 2008, 00:48
So my CPL (UK) expires in November of this year. Do I have to do a flight test again as for the initial issue? Or is there some way of extending it for another 10 years or whatever it is now?

Grasscarp
20th Feb 2008, 08:50
Paul, There is a downloaded application form on the CAA website here
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1102.pdf
It will cost you £123 and may be applied for up to 60 days in advance. Pleased you put this question up as it has reminded me that I need to do this soon.