PDA

View Full Version : Australia to Canada: whats the deal?

31st Oct 2001, 10:23
Hello everyone!
What are the rules on an Aussies coming to work over in Canada. Sounds like a cool place and Canadians so far I've found to be really friendly. What is the deal with the licence conversion over there? Can anyone help me? :confused:

Azure
31st Oct 2001, 13:24
With everyone laying off etc., not so good right now.

dash 27
1st Nov 2001, 15:59
Firstly, you need to show some respect to the experience level of Canadian drivers compared to Oz drivers. If you have never left Oz shores....then you have no idea!!!
This is their turf, like Oz is ours, and taking into account Sept 11th, and the fact that the reality has not yet reached aussie shores, you are treading on egg shells here, pal. As an aussie float driver myself, whose done some expat stuff, one can certainly learn how to fly real airplanes from canadians.....but just back off for a while....it really isn't a good time.
When times begin to change, don't even bother going until you've converted your Oz ATPL to a Canadian ATR. And I mean Airline Transport Level. You can't compete with the local pilots unless you have the "absolute qualification". Float time and lots of it may help, or to specialize in a similar avenue that may be sort after. And finally, you won't get in the door with out Citizenship or a Sponsor....

Pretty grim, but thats just how it is

Sorry to be harsh

-27 :D

cuthis arminhalf
2nd Nov 2001, 07:55
gotta agree with the othes mate, worst time in canada in quite a long time, I'm an aussie and have been flying in the great white north for the last 8 years, am now getting laid off from our flag western regional carrier next month and will probably be heading home to upgrade my aussie cpl to atpl, the music stopped and we're all trying to sit down on too few seats. If your still interested look up ProIFR in Vancouver (www.proifr.com) - they run pretty good short atpl courses and will probably send you books to study before you come and are convenient if your flying in from oz,
I'll wave as we pass on the pacific

Azure
2nd Nov 2001, 08:29
Before you pack your bags, have you given WestJet a try? They will be hiring in January from what I hear. And if not, there may be quite a few senior Regional pilots that will. More than a few are :mad: at momcorp.

Good Luck