PDA

View Full Version : FAEL Safe Ops for jets like B737-800s, MD80's, A319 etc???

flite101
28th Jan 2008, 11:18
Hi, I’m no pilot, but something been bugging me for a while now, I regularly fly to FAEL from FAJS with various LCCs or our very own pvt but government funded state airline, is the 2 runways actually a little short for these types of aircraft listed above? always seems like they use the entire length of the runway to stop, although admittedly they normally do "plonk" you down hard & firmly on the runway, this is obviously to dissipate some of the inertia etc?

look forward to the comments!!
:)

reptile
29th Jan 2008, 04:45
The runway commonly used (11/29) is certainly not “too short”. The entire length of the runway is used during the landing roll simply because the taxiway turnoffs are situated at either end of the runway - the aircraft are allowed to roll to the end for the turnoff. The two other taxiways are not used to turnoff because it would require very hard braking to utilize them.

As for “plonking down”: The landings are firm because an extended hold off or float would eat up a lot of runway. The pilots are therefore required to touch down at their aiming point and this sometimes results in a firm landing. (It’s got nothing to do with a need to dissipate energy)

As mentioned by suitcaseman, the allowable landing and takeoff weights are carefully calculated.

flite101
29th Jan 2008, 10:04
thanks suitcaseman & reptile, will now just relax and enoy my flights there from now on ... :ok:

incidentally any airports in SA that require special attention, ie CPT as its very windy there?